Cracked my screen with applecare

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aces2412, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Aces2412 macrumors regular

Well it happened. My space gray sport took a small hit on the corner and it cracked. I had a screen protector on it for a while but the screen was not that clear so I went naked. Now do I get it replaced with applecare + now or wait until the applecare is almost up? I would assume that water will now be able to get into the watch, so I added a small piece of the screen protector over the cracked part to help with water protection.

I will probably just wait and push the watch to the brink until it totally gives up. So sad.

When you get a replacement do they give you a new watch and bands or just the watch body?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have not done it yet but from what I have seen here, just the body.

With AppleCare+ I think you get two replacements on your plan so if you don't want to wait you might check into that.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What's the point of having AC+ if you won't use it? You're entitled to two accidental damage replacements, and any manufacturing defects won't count toward that.

4. dhlizard, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

AppleCare+ will send  Watch only in small box, you then return  Watch only in same box.

5. Aces2412 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will get it replaced but first I will try it on a long open water swim to see how it does. If it lives I will dive deeper to see how long it will go.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep in mind you most likely have compromised the water barrier due to the crack in the screen, so you're not actually testing how robust the water resistance is.

7. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I would not do anything that is not covered by warranty or use per Apple's specifications. If you try to return the watch and they find it full of water, they may think you damaged the screen AFTER you dove 100 feet in water with it!

Just return it and take advantage of your AppleCare! You paid of it, enjoy the benefits of it! Be happy, not sad!

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it really matters. The OP has cracked the screen so he has to pay the deductible either way, and any damage is covered under AC+.

He just won't be able to test the robustness of the Watch's water resistance as the water barrier is most likely compromised due to the crack in the screen.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I hate to see the good remaining hardware ruined just for the OP's entertainment:(