Cracked my sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satinsilverem2, Aug 26, 2016.

1. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Well after over a year and a half of abuse my watch cracked. Im pretty hard on devices and I wear my watch everyday and I work in the food industry so my watch was constantly being banged into sinks and so on. Im not upset that it cracked I'm actually amazed that it lasted this long. I was smart and bought AppleCare so ill pay the $69 service fee to get it replaced. This time around though I'm going to get some sort of screen protector to keep the scratches off it. Just thought I would share.

IMG_0691.JPG

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

wow, definitely looks in rough shape...pretty scratched/scraped

3. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

But saddle brown leather band looks pretty good. :)

4. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Did you realize it the moment it cracked? Was it a really hard whack that made you think, "uh-oh" or were you just surprised by the crack when you glanced down at your watch?

I have had a number of those moments when I expected to find damage, but so far (just over a year of wearing it) I have been lucky. I'm sure it's more than just the force of the impact... also the angle of the blow and the material/shape of the object hitting it.

I'm not surprised food service is hard on a watch. I worked in restaurants for about eight years. It can be physically demanding work (not to mention the mental pressure) and you have to learn to work quickly with your hands. So many opportunities to get bumped, scraped, burned, cut, etc. so I can definitely understand how you'd be surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

Sean

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Shouldnt use leather if you work in a restaurant

6. satinsilverem2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I noticed it while just glancing down at it
    --- Post Merged, Aug 26, 2016 ---
    I dont wear the leather band at work. I use a white sport band for hygiene and health standards

7. satinsilverem2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

well I sent off the watch today. The genius said that I should have it back by Wednesday. The deductible was $69 with AppleCare but the genus said that when he submitted his for liquid damage they didn't even charge him and just covered it under the standard warranty. Thats what I'm hoping for but I don't care either way as it was my fault for the damage. I just hope that I'm not going to loose my health data when I pair the new watch to my phone. The genius said that it shouldn't.

8. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Yeah I feel like it is only a matter of time before I crack mine. I manage in retail (aka I do tons of heavy lifting because Corporate isn't going to pay hourlies to do it lol) and I'm always banging my hand into shelving, freight, etc. Regardless I am impressed with the durability of the aluminum casing. It holds up well to daily rough usage.

9. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Is it that rough being a waitress? Damn

10. Julien, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not to get to technical but in the food service industry the job is called a server (also the avatar [and band] indicates a male which would not be waitress anyway). Plus where does it say server job? Are you just stereotyping? There are 1000's of different job titles in the food industry. The OP said "...being banged into sinks..." so my 'stereotype' guess would be a cook of some type (possibly prep-cook) :D. For all we know the OP may work in a meat packing plant. That is food industry also.;)

11. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Oh I didn't know a male could be a waitress. Cute

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A waitress is a female server. You meant to say waiter.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The position is called a server, not a waiter or a waitress. Terminology has changed.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I keep mine in a Spigen tough armor case. I like the G-shock look and it looks more rugged.
    [​IMG]

15. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Just scratched the **** out of mine on the rounded edge of my granite counter tops. Freak accident considering how the counter is as smooth as can be but my wrist happened to find the one imperfection that is naked to the eye I suppose. Anyway, I have AppleCare as well so I am just going to have it replaced (the scratch really is that bad lol). Truthfully though I am looking at getting the new watch this year and skipping the new iPhone since I have a 6S. I have worn my apple watch every day since release day and I really like it, even more so now running os3. So I think I will upgrade the watch this year and get the new iPhone next september since I assume that the watch is going onto a 2 year upgrade cycle (ish).

16. Goalieed macrumors member

I've done the same. I wound up getting a Rugged Armor case (similar to the picture above but one piece, the tough armor case was in two pieces and the face kept popping off). It came with a screen protector I didn't use as the lip of the protector is higher height then the screen.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No on meat packing. All jewelry needs be removed.

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

At least you had Apple Care. If your ever interested in upgrading, the stainless steel saphirre display is fairly resilient to scratches and dings, at least from my experience.

And the sports band would hold up well in an restaurant environment.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

True, but I was being somewhat facetious and digging at azfalcons apparent attempt at patronizing (and not the commerce type ;)) the OP's profession.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That's fair. I figured since we were getting into a bunch of generally not necessary details I would add to the mix lol.

21. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Just out of curiosity, why is this?

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Probably cause you are always washing your hands and the leather isn't water resistant. At least thats why I never purchased a leather band while working in restaurants.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Leather, being porous, would be hard to clean and sterilize.

24. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

25. Awlover Suspended

Never wear leather band at my restaurant.