Cracked my trackpad on Late 2013 15" Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SVTmaniac, Oct 23, 2014.

1. SVTmaniac, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

So I'm pretty disappointed right now. I take excellent care of my things and go out of my way to protect them. Tonight I was watching TV with my late 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina in my lap. I got a text on my iPhone 5s and picked it up to reply. The phone slipped out of my hand and hit the trackpad and cracked it pretty bad. It fell maybe 3 to 4 inches and was able to do that much damage. I can't believe the trackpad is so fragile.

From the research I've done you can't just replace the trackpad. The laptop is still under the 1 year warranty but I know it won't be covered for "damage" and I don't have Applecare. Is there anything I can do besides paying $500 for a new top case? It works fine, but I don't roll ghetto like that. (apparently I need to translate for those that don't understand) The trackpad works fine even though it is cracked, but I think it looks horrible and refuse to be seen with a busted laptop. I hope my "ebonics" translation works for you.

2. Mac2k4, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Mac2k4 macrumors newbie

English please. I don't speak ebonics.

Stop texting while on your Macbook? I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying to this. You don't roll ghetto like that...

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I didn't understand this part, but I presume you want to replace your broken trackped. I don't know about retina Macbooks, but both the old Macbook Pro and Macbook laptops have easily replaceable trackpads once you have the right tools.

I'd first try get it replaced for free if it's under warranty. Otherwise, you can buy a spare trackpad from Ali Express or Ebay, I guess.

4. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

It means I won't walk around with a cracked trackpad. It looks tacky, as bad as the people who walk around with cracked phones. It's not that difficult to decipher.

And who wouldn't text while on their Macbook? I mean yes, you can text from the macbook now, but it only works with SMS or iMessages not with Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp or the other messenger services.

----------

You are all easily offended on here I see. Anyways, I had heard of people getting it replaced under warranty and other say no way that they will cover it.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The ghetto word was the hardest part to decipher to me. It came to my mind something like "suburban people usually have Macbooks with cracked trackpads".

Speaking seriously, you first need contacting an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Explain your point cordially. Maybe they'll agree that your trackpad shouldn't break so easily and will exchange it for free.

6. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

They are not offended, just confused due to your usage of slang. They live in a different part of the world than you do. Not everybody around the world speaks the same slang. People across the entire planet visit this site.

About your system: The only answer that matters the most is the one that Apple will give, because that will ultimately determine the solution. So, my recommendation is to bring it in, explain the situation, and see what they say. Worst case, they will quote you a price (probably flat rate) for repair. If you don't like their offer, then look on iFixit.com for the Apple part number, and then do a search on eBay for that same number (because iFixit's prices, IMHO, are sometimes quite ridiculous.) Buy the part and fix it yourself using iFixit's guide.

7. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I understand what you meant, and I'm aware that WhatsApp, and other services, are limited to mobile devices. But you can access Facebook Messenger through the computer.

And I personally believe that it's a better experience on the computer just due to ease and speed of replies on a full-size keyboard.

8. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well aren't you just better than everyone who uses their phone for texting. :roll eyes: Typical Apple user, I don't use the newest features and suddenly I'm "doing it wrong"

9. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Wait what? How did I suggest you were doing anything wrong? My goal was simply pointing out that Facebook Messenger is not exclusive to your phone. You can use any computer with internet access to pull up the same messages.

Never suggested that I was better than those who use their phone to do other tasks. And I'm far from a typical apple user, I aim to use and be familiar with as much tech as I can, and am no stranger to Windows, Linux, or Android.

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Man, every thread on this forum goes south in like 2 posts. Anyway, Take it to the Apple store and tell them what happened. They'll either replace it for free or tell you how much to fix before doing anything. Hopefully you don't live too far from an Apple store.

11. Crugga macrumors regular

If apple wont do it on warranty you could try home contents insurance if covered.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68040

One more idea: afaik retina battery replacement costs in the region of $200, not $500.
    Together with new battery comes the new topcase, for retina macbooks.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

This was my thinking.

If they suck their teeth in an say, it needs a new top case and that'll be $500. Then refuse and ask for a battery replacement for $200. As the battery is glued into the top case, you'll get the same repair for cheaper.

14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I don't think this is possible, although it does not hurt to ask.

I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere in the Terms of Service, that Apple will not do partial repairs, they repair all or nothing. I searched through the documents I could quickly find, and could not find the part, but this is a fairly common practise with other manufacturers too.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

what they are saying is that if you ask for a BATTERY REPLACEMENT which is a lot cheaper they have to replace the top case on a retina macbook too so he would get his actually issue fixed as a side effect from the battery replacement.

if he would ask for the trackpad to be fixed they would ask him to pay more even tho its the same procedure

16. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I understand what they are saying. What I'm saying is, Apple (or a service partner) might refuse to replace the top case assembly as a battery replacement, if one of its parts is damaged.

17. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I don't like this OP's rudeness so I see no reason to help him.