Cracked out compass in my 3GS....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scubasteve03, Jul 9, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I am having a terrible time getting the compass to consistently work while I am driving. It keeps giving me the interferance error and says I need to recallibrate. It happens in my H3 and my MX-5 as well. I try to keep it far away as possible from the stereo. The only thing I can think of is that the H3 has a electronic compass built-in the rear view mirror. My MX-5 still has the same issues, but it doesn't have a compass/ nav unit.
    Does anyone have any similar issues with their compass? I don't know what else I can do. I really was excited about this new feature. Thanks for the help, let me know what you think.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well maybe shouldn't be using the iphone while driving. :rolleyes:

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

There's so much more interference in your car than just the stereo, which is kind of the least of your worries. Basically, the whole car is interference for a magnetometer, especially the engine, but also the frame.

The compass works only about 60-70% of the time for me while driving.

4. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

I use it with google maps. That's supposed to be one of the features of the 3GS is that you can tell which direction you are going when you are driving. I just wanted to know if other people are having the same problem. You are telling me you never use your GPS in the iPhone to figure out where you are going?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh ok, so using the phone with the compass and google maps is cool when driving. You should be using safari and typing in your posts here via the iPhone while driving as well. Since apple designed the browser to be used in mobile situations
    [/sarcasm]

6. milerich macrumors regular

The OP never said he had his eyes glued to his phone. So you've never glanced at a map or print out of directions while driving? I would love if google maps could orient the map reliably while I am driving in a strange area, that way I wouldn't have to try to figure out left or right based on whether my little blue dot is moving up or down the iPhone screen.

BTW, I am typing this on my iPhone while driving, shaving, reading the New York Times, while talking to a client, listening to the radio, and yelling at the slow driver in front of me... :D

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Who gives a hell. Why does anyone need to use a compass? I turned it on, said, Meh....waste of space.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The people who need it for maps. Learn to read the thread before posting.

9. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I posted my thoughts on the compass. Also, I don't know how to read.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You made it seem as though you read the thread title and immediatly clicked "post reply."

People "want" it to be able to orient their map to the direction they are facing. Not the usefulness of the the App itself, as in the stand alone app. Because yes, thats very useless.

If you had suggested you felt as though the compass in corelation to the maps app was useless, you would have had a vaild point.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I use a REAL compass...can get a nice one for $7-10. No problem, no
    monthly fee's, no interference. I don't think the iphone compass was meant
    to be used in a car.

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, when driving, it would be nice if I didn't have to turn the phone all over the place to see what direction I am going in.

Duh.

13. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

im not sure if its the same tech in the iphone compared to my garmin handheld gps, but that has an electronic compass in it too.

On the garmin you are instructed to have it horizontal for the compass to be accurate. if its at an angle on your dash it wont point you in the right direction.

This can be proved by starting the compass when horizontal, and seeing if it changes direction when you angle the phone up.

I dont have a 3GS to check this myself.

14. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

But if you are driving in a car with GPS, the phone shouldn't need the magnetic compass to know which direction it is going. Just wait for (or purchase) a decent navigation app, and your problem will go away. The default google maps on the 3GS apparently uses the compass for screen orientation? That's very useful for a person walking slowly or standing still. In a car, the GPS fix/history should be used for orientation, not a compass. OK - maybe if you are parked somewhere it would be useful. But as you are finding out, it's not easy to get a compass to work well inside a car, especially when the sensor is free to move around inside the car.

15. Benjic macrumors regular

He drives a Hummer guys, he doesn't need to care about other drivers.

Anyway I have no problem with the iPhone's Compass in my Diabolo or my Countach. I guess I got lucky.

16. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense. So when using the navigation app, it is not be using the compass to show which direction you are heading. I was always under the impression that my Garmin was using the built-in compass to show orientation. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I need to just be patient until a decent turn by turn app comes out.
    So besides walking around, camping or geocaching, what other uses or applications could they uses could they incorporate the compass in the 3GS for? Once again, thanks for the insight.
    Stephen

17. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL funny. It's a freakin H3, not a monstrous Humvee. Dont hate... or I WILL run you over!:rolleyes:

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

mine works sometimes, other times the fact that im inside a metal box interferes with the magnet in the magnometor

whats that supposed to mean? he drives an H3, which happens to get better gas mileage than most vans/SUVs/crossovers, so if your talking about that, then you have no clue. H3s arent huge gas guzzlers like everyone thinks. As a matter of fact, my dads H3 gets the same mileage as my Saab 9-3

as for your cars...why do you even drive the countach? Diablos are so much nicer looking. Besides, its time to upgrade. Get a reventon

19. bennypod macrumors member

Yeah... because 14-18 MPG is great [/sarcasm] Get real!

20. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Try 17/20. I think you accidently looked up a F350. Nice try.