Cracked Plastic Bezel [iPad]?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by themscarter, Aug 12, 2014.

1. themscarter, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

themscarter macrumors newbie

Hello!

I was hoping to get y'alls opinion on an iPad a just bought.

I bought a refurbished iPad 3 from Amazon last week. In the sellers description they said their iPads can have minor scratches on the silver back, which is no big deal because you can cover those with a case. But the one I received has a piece of the plastic bezel missing on the bottom of the iPad.

This is my first iPad, so of course I'm nervous about everything. I contacted the seller and they said,

"The thin plastic bezel you are referring to, generally serves as a cosmetic finish to blend the screen to the casing. It has no functional impact on the iPad. I have seen iPads with no bezel at all (completely removed) and they have remained fully functional for years. Lack of a bezel will not lead to screen cracks as the screen is secured and supported by the iPad foundation directly underneath it."

I still wasn't sure so I contacted Apple and the person I talked to said the best option would be to make an appointment with my Genius Bar, have them look it over and then decided if I should keep it or send it back. I've made an appointment but it isn't until later this week, so I was hoping to get some opinions.

Do you think that part of the iPad is really just cosmetic and it won't impact the iPad? I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like.

Thank you to anyone who comments. I really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

It really is just a cosmetic thing, it has nothing to do with the functionality.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's just cosmetic, but it looks like the iPad has had a drop (the dents near the missing bezel). IMO dropped != refurbished.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Even if it is cosmetic, it's not in the condition it was described. I think you do have grounds for complaint. How much did you pay for it? Did you compare prices with refurbished iPads from Apple? IMO, Apple refurbs are the way to go if you are looking for an older model product, they come with a year of full warranty, which makes them totally worth it.

5. themscarter thread starter macrumors newbie

Brian Y - I figured it had been dropped. For some reason the dent in the silver didn't bother me as much as the cracked bezel.

Night Spring - I paid $309 (it's a 64 GB). I went with Amazon because I had gift cards that covered the whole purchase. The seller has 100% and even a couple of the reviews said there were no visible marks on the ones they received, so I felt okay purchasing from them.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is a good enough deal that I might live with it, if an inspection by an Apple genius confirms that the defects are entirely cosmetic. I would, however, be inclined to leave a negative review on Amazon. Oh, just had a thought -- perhaps you could contact the seller and see if they are willing to do something to remedy the situation, if they value their 100% rating. ;)

7. themscarter thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to give y'all an update.

I contacted the seller again and told them that I was bothered, more than I thought I would be, by the condition of the iPad and that I would like to return it. They got back to me right away and offered to look through their supply of iPads, find one in a better condition and then send me pictures to make sure I was happy with it. I've never had any other seller do that for me.

I've sent the original one back and the new one is in amazing condition.

Thank you all for commenting. I really appreciate it.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Thanks for the update, glad to hear this story has a happy ending. Enjoy your iPad!