cracked plastic near trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevindosi, May 27, 2008.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

Hey everyone -
    I've got a fairly new macbook (about 5 months old) and I'm starting to see some unnatural wear on the cover. The plastic is cracked next to the trackpad, around where you rest your palms, on the edge. I take really good care of my electronics and am careful about how I handle my computer especially, so I don't think it was my fault. I just noticed a couple of weeks ago a small crack in there, and it gradually got bigger until it split. My computer is still under warranty, will it cover this? I know it's not affecting how my computer works, but it's pretty damn ugly and cheap looking. That's a big problem when one of Apple's big selling points is how sleek, sexy and elegant the products are. Do you think it's worth taking to the Apple store and asking for a new one?

Here's a picture if you're not sure of what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

2. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

I have the exact same thing wrong with my macbook. It is not necessarly broken it just looks akward. Although I have already ripped that plastic off the case, it was bothering me. If you look by the top of the screen where the screen casing is you can see a notch that created that crack in the plastic. The apple store said that they couldn't fix it for me under apple care. losers.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, not so much a "new" one, but a replacement case that can be replaced within the hour if there is an available tech. :eek:

4. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

This is a design fault and apple will replace it even if your macbook is out of warranty. Just search the forum and you will see hundreds of similar threads.

5. Fenir macrumors regular

I have that crack on both sides. Its from the ridges on top pushing down on the case. It does this so the keys dont rub against the screen.

Anyways, the nearest apple store to me (2 hrs) told me it would be $280 to fix, as that is the flat rate for sending a computer into apple to get it fixed. Needless to say, I was unhappy.

6. smb405 macrumors newbie

Cracked Housing on Macbook

Purchased my macbook in June '07 and just noticed yesterday that the housing has cracks ranging from hairline to a little worse. Mine run from the left side and seem to originate at the left side screws and get progressively worse right under the "notch" where you open the lid. After reading previous posts I can also see where the "lips" on the lid touch the bottom half of the macbook when closed...though I have no cracks there I can see a minor indentation that, based on what I have read so far, will likely develop cracks in the future. Is Apple doing anything about these cracks? I didn't purchase the extra warranty but am hoping it is covered under the normal warranty....haven't checked it out yet. Absolutely no abuse to my macbook....I take vary good care of it and therefore would not expect to have to Pay for repairs....especially based on the number of complaints.

smb405