Cracked S2 SS face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jasperk99, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

IMG_1924.JPG Somehow I managed to scratch my SS watch face on the bottom left corner. I thought the sapphire crystal on the watch wouldn't scratch, that was a huge selling point for me. I have read about some kind of coating on the face. Is there a way to fix this?

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Have you asked Apple about it? Sapphire shouldn't scratch like that...

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sapphire CAN scratch and it's not impervious to various impact or materials. Any type of material containing silica carbides can scratch sapphire. Sapphire is the second hardest reference material on Mohs Scale of hardness, which is approximately a 9. A hard impact from a softer, denser material can scratch sapphire. The Watch does have an oleophobic coating, which helps protect from Minor abrasions, but it eventually wears off. There are materials that can scratch the sapphire display, which your Watch came into contact with, causing the damage.

It's also a misconception that only diamond can scratch sapphire, when other debris or surfaces can be factored in your situation. Sapphire is difficult to scratch, but it will certainly scratch with the right impact, force and material.

I'm not aware of any ways that could repair the scratch on a sapphire display without replacing the display itself.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...-101/sapphire-durability-hardness-mohs-scale/

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/hardness-and-wearability/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_carbide

4. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

@Relentless Power Thanks for the info above. I agree Sapphire can definitely scratch but as you mentioned very hard to do as most watches should usually see your typical bumps from doors, tables etc...

@jasperk99 have you come in contact with any of what @Relentless Power mentioned above that you didn't mention?

5. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly I have no idea. Anything is possible. I work in an office, so my wrist isn't banging around a lot. But I can be a bit clumsy at times although I have never scratched or broken the face of my phones. I have no idea what silica carbides are. I am sure whatever I did is my fault, I just wasn't aware that you can scratch the face. I have had a sapphire crystal face Tag Heuer for over 15 years and have never scratched it.

6. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

It might be the coating is coming off and not a scratch. Please talk to Apple about it and let us know what they say, this is an interesting case.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

That actually looks like hairline crack. Scratches are usually straight and that looks a little 'spidered'.

8. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

It could be a crack, I am going to go to the apple store after work, and see what they say.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I agree with Julien, definitely looks like a crack. Most scratches we see around here on the SS is just in the coating, but that looks to be a more damage than just a scratch.

10. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

Brought it to Apple they want 249 to fix. I'm going to let it be for now, perhaps when the Apple watch 3 comes out, I'll get it

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just FYI:

12. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Looks like you bashed it against wall. Should have gotten a case and glass screen protector. Nicest ones I've seen are the X-Doria Defense Edge cases.

13. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Keep in mind that any water going through the crack will destroy your OLED display. OLED's are extremely water sensitive. You must be VERY careful around any water.

14. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

What did they say when you asked them how can Sapphire scratch like that?

15. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I think it is cracked and NOT scratched. OP should edit title of thread if so.

16. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

I changed the title, the funny thing is that when you look at it with the naked eye; it looks like a scratch, only zoomed in does it look like a crack, and it is just on the surface, can't even feel it when I rub my finger against it

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Looks like a crack to me. Apple can replace but I am afraid you will have to pay unless very lucky.

Part of the price we pay for it being so scratch resistant is that it also make it more brittle.

18. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

There is a way to find out for sure. Put it in a glass of water for 30 minutes. :eek::eek:

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie