cracked screen 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ctyhntr, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

5 months after I bought my 2011 MBP refurb, I cracked the glass. Checked the forums archives and online, and came up with 4 replacement options.

1. Apple store (display replacement, $800-1000)
    2. buy and replace the display myself ($600)
    3. third party glass replacement $400
    4. buy and replace the glass myself $100

Anything other than option 1 means I void my warranty if I ever had to bring it in to Apple for servicing. What would you do?

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

If you have done repairs before with electronics, I would go and take my chances with #2. Things might go wrong though.

If you don't want to take that chance, go to apple. It's a little extra, but it's a guaranteed fix with everything working

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you think you are savvy, you can probably do #4; what's the worse that could happen? You already cracked the screen!

That said, if original parts are used, no warranty will be voided.

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

5. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into this. Upgrading to a matte anti-glare display is very tempting.

6. dangros macrumors newbie

Which option did you choose? I was looking into #4 as the price for a mbp 15" late 2011 screen is now 260 bucks. All I need is the glass and I dont mind trying to do the work. The youtube vids dont look all that bad if you have a heatgun or blow drier :)
    My main question is, does anyone know a reputable place be it on ebay or elsewhere to get just the 15" screen for a late 2011 mbp?

7. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I ordered a replacement glass from this company in April 2011:

http://www.laptopscreen.com

I fixed a Dell for a friend of mine and to be honest the whole process took about 10 minutes TO INSTALL. Taking apart was a different matter, especially when you have not done it before. But, go slow, watch all the videos on their site and take digital pictures of everything you do at every step. I have been fixing computers for several years now, but I had never done this type of work before and I did not find it difficult (just be careful).

I cannot speak to this companies reputation for supplying glass for Apple products, but the parts I ordered fit/worked perfectly, they shipped quickly and were good to deal with.

8. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Just wondering how did you crack the glass on your Mac Book Pro?

9. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I have no one to blame except myself. MBP under the comforter in my bed. Instead of going to the other side of the bed to get my iPad, I stretch to reach over, steady myself by putting my hand down on the bed (cover of the laptop), and put enough weight to crack the glass (I heard a small pop).

10. dangros macrumors newbie

Mine fell off the couch while I was laying next to it. I also have no one to blame but myself.
    I Do have a followup, however. In removing the shattered glass, a smudge formed on the LCD. I dont know how gentle it is. HOW can I clean it along w/the small glass dust particles?

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There is the actual LCD display, then there is a separate glass cover. Did you only break the outer glass, or did you break that PLUS the LCD underneath?

If you only broke the outer glass, you can remove that and replace it yourself if you're handy.

If you only broke the outer glass, there's no point in paying for an LCD and an aluminum lid.

This video shows you how to do it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LLOhLH20E