Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmyMirage

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I've had my iPhone for just over a year (August 2008) and I finally dropped it the one day I didn't have a case on it. Crazy I know, I'm always so careful and this is the first time I've ever dropped any phone I've ever owned. But accidents happen and it was my fault now I have 3-4 pretty big cracks across my screen. LCD is still perfect and touch sensors all seem to be fine so the cracks are purely cosmetic. I'm not looking to shift blame or claim defect I just want to fix my dumba$$ mistake.

Anyway my question is that I recently moved from Houston TX to a little town in NC. The nearest Apple retail store is a couple hundred miles from me, so can AT&T retail stores do the iPhone screen repairs as well? I've heard it's close to $200 which seems kinda steep considering this is a 16gig black 3G. I could probably snag a refurb for almost the same price. Would I be better off doing the repair myself seeing as I'm well out of my standard year warranty anyway so voiding isn't an issue.

I know the home repair is tricky in itself but I consider myself very technically savvy and watched/read many How-tos and it doesn't seem like it's something I could not do myself if I needed to.

My AT&T account page also says I'm eligible for an upgrade to a 3GS with discounts January 2010 which isn't too far away. I could just grin and bear it until then. Unfortunately I was hoping to save the upgrade discounts for the next iteration of the iPhone closer to my 2 year contract expiration when I'd need to resign anyway.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2000m

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I've had my iPhone for just over a year (August 2008) and I finally dropped it the one day I didn't have a case on it. Crazy I know, I'm always so careful and this is the first time I've ever dropped any phone I've ever owned. But accidents happen and it was my fault now I have 3-4 pretty big cracks across my screen. LCD is still perfect and touch sensors all seem to be fine so the cracks are purely cosmetic. I'm not looking to shift blame or claim defect I just want to fix my dumba$$ mistake.

Anyway my question is that I recently moved from Houston TX to a little town in NC. The nearest Apple retail store is a couple hundred miles from me, so can AT&T retail stores do the iPhone screen repairs as well? I've heard it's close to $200 which seems kinda steep considering this is a 16gig black 3G. I could probably snag a refurb for almost the same price. Would I be better off doing the repair myself seeing as I'm well out of my standard year warranty anyway so voiding isn't an issue.

I know the home repair is tricky in itself but I consider myself very technically savvy and watched/read many How-tos and it doesn't seem like it's something I could not do myself if I needed to.

My AT&T account page also says I'm eligible for an upgrade to a 3GS with discounts January 2010 which isn't too far away. I could just grin and bear it until then. Unfortunately I was hoping to save the upgrade discounts for the next iteration of the iPhone closer to my 2 year contract expiration when I'd need to resign anyway.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
that sucks,go into the apple store and make believe you dont know how the warranty works and ask if they will replace it for free, doesn't hurt to try

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
that sucks,go into the apple store and make believe you dont know how the warranty works and ask if they will replace it for free, doesn't hurt to try

Didn't read the post.... If you can stand it maybe just deal with it for a while. OR pay the 199.00 for an out of warranty refurb. "New" phone for the not new price. Then wait for the new version of i to come out in June to upgrade. My $0.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.