Cracked Screen - Durability of iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FreeLunch1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. FreeLunch1 macrumors member

I have had Treos for the past 4-5 years and will occasionally drop my phone on concrete, carpet, wood floors,etc from 4 feet or so. However, the screen has never cracked. I know some people have cracked their Treo screen, but in my experience, maybe I'm lucky, but it seems to be crack resistant from drops.

When I get my iPhone 3G, I want to go with Invisible Shields, BSE or something like that. However, after seeing several pictures of cracked iPhone screens, I am wondering if you need a case to protect it. How durable is the iPhone from the occasional drop?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The screen is suppose to be fairly durable. There have been several tests on the current iPhone's durability which have shown some really positive results. If I remember correctly the new iPhone has the same screen as the old one. Try googling it and I think you can even get some videos.

3. pintnight macrumors 6502

Just don't drop the iPhone on a brick/concrete steps where the iPhone can hit the corner of the steps. That what happened to mine on Friday the 13th. :(

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

This is the best example I've seen...put in a bag with keys, dropped on carpet and dropped on concrete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8

Now, I wouldn't drop it on purpose because I've heard of people breaking their's when the corner hits just right. But this video shows it's pretty durable.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It is glass, and glass breaks, I would suggest attempting to find a case that might add a little more grip to the device, and definitely find a screen protector. I am on an iPod touch, and I believe that it uses that same glass as the iPhone, and that glass is prone to scratches if put in a pocket with your keys or a metal pen or something, I have two decent scratches on mine right now. I know that incase makes a rubber like case for the iPod touch that gives in great grip and protection. I am using it right now and it really helps.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My uses the Incase Magenta colored case for her iPhone. It is a great case and provides a great grip. I had 1 and took it back after I found a deal on ebay that included a charger, mount for the car, and like 5 different cases for $30 BIN.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Overall, it seems to be durable, but if lands at the wrong angle the screen will crack. Like if it lands on the corner/edge it appears that the screen will crack... so I would get a case just to be safe.

8. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

when he pulled out the key in that video that was hard to watch,I cringed

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've got an Incase Slider for my iPhone. It has prevented any damage to the device (I did the small scratch to the screen by my own stupidity) and I have dropped it a few times. The case itself has about 1,500 scratches, which makes me worry about the iPhone 3G, but you can always get a new case.

If you aren't going to dock your iPhone 3G, you might look into the silicone covers. They'll be more snug and probably absorb shock better than a plastic case. Either way, be fully warned if you don't get a case.