Cracked Screen. From.. nothing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsf8x, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

I just came home this morning after a run and theres a large crack in the center of my macbook with 5 cracks stretching out to the edge of the screen. There was no thief storming through my house. Nothing happened but I open up a cracked macbook.. :(

Do you think there's anything Apple can do for me?

2. KirkL macrumors 6502

3. kolax macrumors G3

They'll fix it, but you'll have to pay for it.

Screens don't crack themselves - something must have hit it. You got any pets?

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Do you have a wife/girlfriend/kids who are bitter Windows users? :p

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you had your computer in a bag or on a table and you put heavy stuff on top of the lid.
    Things that like just don't "happen" by themselves.

7. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yep, that screen didn't crack on it's own for sure. Apple will not fix it without charging BIG for it. OP, if you don't know what's going on with your own stuff then maybe you shouldn't buy products like this.:cool:

9. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Nobody in the house except me. idk what happened.

How much would it cost to get the screen replaced.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though Apple will not repair it free you can get new replacement LCD's off eBay for reasonable prices. Then follow guides for replacements.

Its just a matter of removing a bunch of screws and the screen bezel. You will need some way of sorting them so they do not get disorganized. Labeling masking tape with the step number and placing the screws on the tape works.

You will need a small Torx set (T-6 to T-10) and a precision screwdriver set (Philips #0 and #1) all of which can be bought at Ace/Tru Value Hardware stores. You may also need suction cups or a putty knife. This varies on Macbook model.

It seems Macsales.com may also have reasonable screen prices. If you don't want to do it yourself most 3rd party repair places will be cheaper than Apple.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If the LCD is not damaged, you should try to replace the glass yourself before buying a new display from apple.

You will need a heat gun and a few simple tools. You can start by watching videos on youtube.

12. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

If its a unibody aluminium macbook, you will not be able to replace glass of the panel, since the glass is burned in into the aluminium back.

I would try going to a genius bar. If your display does not show any cracks i.e. being hit by something you might get lucky and have them replace your display.
    Remember when the iMacs came with cracked display a while back?
    Like said... genius bar is free and you might get lucky :)

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Unless there is a difference between the MBP and Aluminum MB, I have seen videos showing how to remove the glass panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LLOhLH20E

14. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

I've got the late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum).. What is the difference between the Glass and the LCD??

15. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Okay I think I've got the difference between the Glass and the LCD.. Kinda.. Although I'm not sure whether its just the glass thats cracked or both the LCD and the glass and at the repair site I'm at. There's a difference.

I think its just the glass. Nothing's wrong with the actual color and whatever show's up on the screen. There's just a crack across the screen so I'm assuming that's just the glass right?

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Sounds like just the glass, pics would help.

17. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

That is something that Apple would not fix, best bet would be as already suggested by others which is to purchase a LCD on ebay.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If there is nothing wrong with the actual LCD panel, all that would need to be replaced is the glass.

$50 glass panel
    $25-$50 for heat gun
    $5 3M Double-Sided Tape
    a completely smooth credit card or license