Cracked Screen. If I wait, can I have it replaced with 3G iphone for $250?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FACT, May 14, 2008.

1. FACT macrumors newbie

From what I hear, apple will "repair" any damage on your phone by taking your broken phone and giving you a new one for $250. I cracked the screen on my phone today and was wondering: Should I just get it replaced with another 8GB iphone for $250 or can I wait and get it replaced with a new 3G iphone for the same price? Thanks for helping :)

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Well, if they keep selling the non-3G phone as a cheaper alternative (since AT&T's 3G only covers a limited area), then that's what they'll give you.

3. camarobh macrumors 6502

Nope

Think about it. If they did give you a 3G phone for the $250 charge wouldn't lots of original iPhones start having broken screens?

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

5. FACT thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but if apple no longer produces old iphones then they will have no old ones to replace mine with... so unless they change their repair policy or keep a stock of old iphones i don't see how they wouldn't have to give me a new one

6. theRick119 macrumors member

or they'll have a really big stockpile of refurbs to replace it with from all the people that tried it.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Pretty sure they MIGHT have kept a few around for warranty purposes.

8. camarobh macrumors 6502

Keep on dreaming...I am quite certain they will have plenty available for repair/replacement.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No, never. Maybe actually. But highly unlikely and I wouldnt put money on it, unless the money was against you. No chance. I went in with my cracked 4GB screen last week and the guy told me he could replace it for me right now, aka he had some 4GBers left in the back for this exact reason.

10. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

They will replace it with the same phone.

When my old 20gig ipod died, I sent it in 2 years after they were released. I expected to get a new video ipod back, because hey, how many unused U2 ipods do they have laying around? Well they just sent me back a refurbed U2 ipod. Don't expect anything from Apple. You can try, but I highly doubt they will bestow you with a newer iPhone when they are available. They have a stockpile, trust me. They hire people to tell them how many to keep around for future breakage.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

As people bring in old phones for replacement, those get fixed and are ready to sell (or give to those people with warranties).

You'll get the same model.