iPhone X Cracked screen iPhone X regret taking it in for repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Animegirl457, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Animegirl457, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

Animegirl457 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I cracked my iPhone X screen and the display works but touch does not. I cannot backup my phone to iCloud because I don’t have it enabled on the device. I tried backing up through iTunes but I run into a new security feature called USB accessory mode. It requires my passcode to allow any USB device to connect to my iPhone and I cannot enter it since the touch screen does not work. Face ID and Siri are disable because I restarted the device to see if it would help but now it also requires the passcode. Also there’s no trusted device I can try to backup to because I have never backed up my phone before and I suspect the USB security feature will still be a problem. So five days ago I decided to go to the Apple store to get a screen replacement because it’s only $29 with apple care. So the genius who helped me said they would replace the screen but after the screen replacement is done, the phone would have to go into a calibration machine and there’s a chance it could wipe the data if it fails the test. After 45 minutes someone comes out with my phone and it’s stuck on a grey screen with question marks on it. They tell me that the phone is not passing the test and they give me a new phone in a white box. I ask them what happens with the data on phone and they tell me that it’s still on the phone but it would cost thousands of dollars for a data recovery company to get it back. He also tells me not to worry about the data because they drill a hole through the device to completely destroy the data. I reluctantly decide to take the new phone and leave.

I wasn’t able to make a backup through find my iPhone because the person disconnected it before taking it for repair.

Here are my questions and concerns:

I had credit card, college info, emails, passwords with a bunch of sentimental information like my personal diary and pictures saved on it. I’m wondering if someone could tell me how they handle your private information and what happens to the device after they take it?

If it gets in the wrong hands could they make a copy or retrieve my personal data. Should I be worried or do they actually wipe and destroy the device?

Should I change the passwords for all my accounts?

I’ve also been feeling a lot of regret for losing years worth of data and been thinking if I would of kept the phone after they tried to fix it and replaced it myself with a new screen from ifixit, would it have worked? Would it be even possible to get the phone back if I go back to the store and ask for it or is it too late?

Finally the phone in the white box is it refurbished or new? I checked the model number and it starts with an N.

This is my first time using this forum and I want to say thanks to everyone for reading my story. I know it’s a lot and really appreciate your help.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Starting today, backup your phone.

Change your passwords to be on the safe side.

If you still had your phone, I doubt you would be able to retrieve any information.

The phone you got is refurbished which means like new. New outside and battery.

3. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

I'd say it is highly highly unlikely that anything will happen with your data, but if you want to be absolutely sure then change your passwords.

In the future always always always backup your data. There's no reason not to with how easy it is these days. Also, probably a good idea to use some kind of password manager app instead of storing the passwords in plain text on the phone.

I just had my Xs swapped out with AppleCare+. If it isn't a brand new device then I would be shocked. Immaculate condition and the battery is showing 100%.

4. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

Too late now, but, could have done a remote wipe of the phone before taking in for repair (Find My Phone, appleid.apple.com, etc).

Data is safe. Since you have a passcode set on the phone, that is the equivalent of full disk encryption (data encrypted at rest), and to get to the data, would need to know the passcode to unlock the device, which in turn, unlock the encryption keys to the data (ie. files are encrypted, encryption keys encrypted, and entire storage encrypted on top of that).

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Nothing will happen to your data.

Your phone is either new or a repaired motherboard with a new battery, screen and case. Which is good as new.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Has anyone ever tried Lightning to USB camera kit with a USB keyboard in this scenario? Wondering if USB accessory mode blocks that too.

7. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

One of the biggest lies I've ever heard. You should ask them how where the parts for your refurb iPhone X came from.

With regards to your data, it's safe. Apple won't retrieve the data from your old device.

8. Animegirl457 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to get back an old phone after you replaced it at the apple store, it’s been about 2 weeks? What Happens to the old phones after they take it?
    Reasons why I’m asking is because my old phone had my data on it and I had no backup.

9. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I would say the odds of getting the phone back is slim, but why don’t you call the store?

Anytime I have brought my phone in the genius asks if the phone is backed-up. Weren’t you asked the same question?

10. lexikon318 macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that they ask that the phone is wiped before you give it to them ...

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Well, it depends on the condition of the phone. If the phone can be refurbished, it is sent to a repair depot, where parts are interchange/replaced, if the phone is not salvageable, then it sent to a recycling center, where Apple physically will break the phone down into parts through their own recycling center.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Why would you let go of your iPhone with all your data and no backup?

13. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

I refuse to pay $0.01 for iCloud storage out of principle. So no backup for me except for basic setup.

14. ericwn macrumors 68030

Any computers with a compatible version of iTunes can create a local backup for those who don’t want to pay for iCloud subscription.
    If you use encryption in iTunes it will even backup passwords.

15. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Itunes backups are free

16. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

What principle is that?

17. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

It is not acceptable to give me 5GB of storage - the same amount they gave you in 2011, which was 10 years ago.

It is not acceptable to send iPhone prices to the Moon and nickel and dime me on another 10GB of storage. At $1000 it should be included with the phone FFS

18. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

That appears to be a winning principle at this point, eh? You showed 'em.

19. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

I’ve been doing this since 2011. They’ll be bankrupt very soon

20. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Erm... when a company doesn’t sell your data and their main source of revenue is your money, I guess the iCloud prices aren’t that bad but yeah I mean if you saved £0.79 a month by not having a backup of your device and you’re happy with that then good on you.

21. Newtons Apple, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

LOL! Sorry but foolish.

You data must mean nothing to you.

I love it when people stand up for their principles. If you are not backing up via the cloud or iTunes the only lesson learned will be hard for you. I suspect you are pulling everyone’s leg, but then with the education people are getting, these days, poor choices are common!

22. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

The only thing I need to keep are my notes and setup, and maaaayyyybe some stuff in Files. I don’t care one bit about my pictures.

I’ve switched phones maybe 7 times since iCloud came out, every single time I start fresh with no issues whatsoever.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

”maaaayyyybe some stuff in files”

You might as well save the money and buy a simple flip phone.

Best of luck in life. You are so “carefree” that it makes me jealous. :p

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, if you don't want to use iCloud then this is what you should be doing.

25. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Nope, it won't work.

The entire point of USB accessories being disabled until you enter your passcode was to prevent attacks that involve entering passcodes via USB to brute-force them.

All USB functions except charging are disabled. Even charging won't work if the phone detects that the device it's plugged into is a computer rather than just a charger.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2019 ---
    Are you kidding me? It's a dollar a month for 50GB. They probably only charge that to keep people from abandoning accounts with a lot of data in them. I never understood people who choose such petty hills to die on.