Cracked Screen on 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by k-80 TS, Oct 16, 2014.

1. k-80 TS macrumors newbie

My son had his phone for 2 days and dropped it out of his pocket today and Crrraacked the screen . Can it be fixed?? No insurance.
    I have a family plan with 5 phones on it would I be able to bye a new 6+ using one of the upgrades available and take the SIM card out of the phone with the cracked screen and put it in the new phone and keep his number ??
    Any help will be appreciate

2. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

AppleCare can be purchased within 30 days of buying your iPhone, in the UK it costs £79 ($99 for US customers) and covers two incidents of accidental damage.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

In U.S, Applecare can be purchased within 60 days of purchase. You can do it at the Apple store and they will inspect the phone before Applecare plus can be put on it.

Other option is to do it over the phone but they will have you connect your phone to the computer and pass the diagnostics in order to purchase applecare plus over the phone.

As of now OP can't add the applecare plus because it's already cracked. One option is to take it to your local apple store and see what the Genius can do. They will likely charge you for an out of warranty replacement.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

$129 for an iPhone 6 Plus screen replacement at an apple store.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

apple care is $99 to purchase, then $79 for a service fee to fix the screen. total of $178 to get a screen replaced and the peace of mind if you break it again, pay another $79 and then apple care is pretty much done.

5. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

That’s a much better offer than here in the UK.

I was under the impression the remote diagnostics only perform battery tests, temperature warning checks and crash reports from apps. (Not physical defects.) Though the ethics are questionable whether OP could enrol or not.

6. k-80 TS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response I will take it to the Apple Store tonight and hopefully they can put the new screen on while we wait.
    Now I'm starting to think we should put screen protectors on our phones never have before. What do you think?

7. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

An actual case would offer far more drop protection than a screen shield. :)

8. k-80 TS thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Sounds like a plan but just a heads up, they will likely replace the entire unit as they probably don't have just the screens in just yet. so back up the device first before you head on over to the Apple store.

Also screen protector is good for protecting the screen from getting scratches, but it does not protect from drops, You will need a case for that.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Screen protectors will do nothing if you drop your phone.
    Use a good case instead or buy the AppleCare protection.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

apple care is more than cracked screens, it covers water damage for instance now your compare $179 to the out of warranty replacement $299 or two out of warranty replacements for $258 vs $598

12. k-80 TS thread starter macrumors newbie

I spent about one hour on the phone with AppleCare I set up an appointment to go to the store and have the screen replaced for $129.00 when we got there the technician said he could not replace the screen because they did not have the right equipment and they gave us a new phone for $129.00 I can't ask for more than that I am a satisfied Apple customer and thanks again for all the help this forum is fantastic

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

How bad was it cracked? I had a single hairline crack on mine and was excepting to pay the $129 for a new screen. When I went to the Apple store, he said since it was a single hairline crack it was covered under the warranty, and he just handed me a new phone.

14. k-80 TS thread starter macrumors newbie

Cracked Screen on 6 Plus

It was semi-shattered at the left hand bottom corner about the size of the home button. The tec said the few screens he's seen so far we're always at the corners. Where was yours cracked? Remember I had no insurance on the phone.

15. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

16. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Check to see if this is covered by your credit card, some cards cover things like this if they happen within so many days of buying the item.