Cracked screen question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooberton, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I just dropped and cracked my 6 plus screen across top but not tooo bad.

My question is if I don't get it fixed and a legitimate thing goes wrong in the next year (I don't have AppleCare) and they have to replace the whole phone due to legitimate reason will the cracked screen become an issue at that time?

Does anyone have experience with this senerio

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

CC coverage?

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

They may just repair your phone. You may not be qualified for a replacement with the crack on the screen unless you're willing to pay for the screen to be fixed then they may replace the entire phone. You may want to check around the web for a local place that can fix your screen.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It might. it often depends on the person helping you out. Some might say it's an issue, others might overlook it.

IN any case, if you took it in today, it would be an issue right now, and would cost you $79. But if it's truly not bothering you, then there may not be a point to taking it in... if/when an issue does come up requiring service, you can worry about the $79 repair then.

5. HenryDJP macrumors 603

How do you figure it cost only $79 to fix the screen?

6. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it's 79 with Applecare. I DONT have apple care, I wonder how much that is? My phone is otherwise in perfect condition

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Post pics, that would be nice

----------

Here's what you can do... Call apple and initiate a case. If they opens case and they tell you it's not covered under warranty then say you don't want to pursue ahead. Now let's say later in within the year some thing legitimate warranty repairs happen, tell them you had a case for the cracked screen already and that wasn't the cause of the problem. This way you have a reference point that it was a preexisting condition and didn't cause the under warranty damage.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Oh sorry, I misread.

Welp. Applecare for your phone is $100, plus tax. Then the screen replacement would be $79 after that and you'd have one other instance available to you if it happened again for $79, plus the extra year of warranty and all that.

On the other hand, a straight out of warranty screen replacement for an iPhone 6 is $109, and $129 for a 6 Plus.

(Other, more serious repairs cost $299 to $329 out of warranty, which is where ApleCare+ would end up being the more cost effective option.)

Technically, going strictly by the book, your phone wouldn't be eligible for Applecare now that it's been damaged. Or at least you'd have to pay the out of warranty cost first. Then again, you could purchase applecare over the phone, and they very likely wouldn't know or care much about the screen situation.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

129 for oow repair for the plus? That's pretty cheap for one time repair.

Now let's say you buy AC for 100. How long is AppleCare effective and how many repairs can you claim? Is it an extended 1 year warranty from manufactuter making it 2 year warranty? Is it maximum 2 claims of 79 for the whole 2 years or is it 2 claims per year max, making it total of 4 claims for 2 year time.

10. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Applecare Plus is $100 with a $79 deductible that's good for only 2 claims during the 2 year period. It's one extra year added to the manufacturer's warranty that doesn't cover accidental damage.

It's a hit or miss if the OP can buy Applecare. In the store they will refuse to sell it to you if you have damage on the phone. You can call over the phone and buy it and they will send test signals to your phone. That's the hit or miss. The test signals may detect damage and refuse the sale of the Applecare Plus.

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

If that's the case it's better for goob to get AppleCare over the phone if he wants to go that route. However, if you think about it AppleCare would cost the same within 2 accidents. You'd be paying less if you just pay oow.

129 oow one time charge= 129 for 1 accident accident
    + 129 second accident= 258 for 2 accidents
    Vs.
    100 AppleCare + 79 1st accident = 179 for 1 accident
    +79 second accident within 2 years= 258 for 2 accidents

12. HenryDJP, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

HenryDJP macrumors 603

There's a difference though. OOW repair is just that, a "repair". The Applecare Plus is a straight over the counter phone replacement for damage. Apple can repair most things on the phone. I'm not sure about this but I don't think the OOW covers replacement if they are unable to repair it. I'm pretty sure the customer would have to pay an additional price for the phone to be replaced.

Applecare Plus also covers standard repairs from defects.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Applecare Plus also covers standard repairs from defects along with phone replacement.

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

If that's the case, for the same Price I'd rather have AppleCare so I can have extra coverage.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's $129.00 without AC and $79 with AC. Replacement Screen Costs

15. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

Im not sure if this will help you but here is what happened with one of our iPhone 5:

The power button stopped working, the screen had a crack on it (it was like a spider crack on the bottom right corner.

When we took it in for the power button repair (It was eligible for Apple's recall as we verified the serial # to be part of the recall program) but they said that in order to repair the home button the screen must be replaced.

So I had the screen replaced by 3rd party, took it in and got the power button replaced.

Their reason was that because the screen is cracked, it could get worse and for that reason they cannot do the repair with a cracked screen.

16. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Ouch, you cracked your screen? :eek: Own up to it, bring it to Apple and get it repaired.

17. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

Yea, AppleCare only saves people money if they:

1) Break their iPhone one time only

2) Break their iPhone more than 2 times

Otherwise its not worth the purchase.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it has any physical damage such as a cracked screen they will not replace it for free even if you bring it in for another issue.