Cracked Screen, terrible battery -iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ECB, Jul 31, 2014.

1. ECB macrumors member

Hello,

My iPhone 5's battery has been acting up for a solid month now. Every time the phone reaches below 15%, it'll just shut off and not turn back on for 5 minutes or so.

I was walking home from the bars two weekends ago and cracked the top of the screen. The phone was bought brand new in November through AT&T. The battery has now gotten so bad, that I can't even use the phone anymore. I'm using my father's corporate Blackberry.

The screen is still usable, but will Apple fix the battery for free or give me a refurbished iPhone 5?

Thanks for your time.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79. Link provided will take you to Apple site and provide you with all the answers in regards to iPhone battery replacements.

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Confused, so I just have to ask OP.....

1. "The Bars" comment above....Have you been drinking ?

2. "Walking home" ? No car ?

3. "Battery has gotten so bad".... What does the Bars remark and walking home, "cracking screen" have to do with the Battery OP ? Are you trying a way to get another iPhone that you messed up by dropping it and using the battery as an reason for AT&T to give you another phone ?

No applecare plus, no refurbished iPhone.

Story is fishy to me.....;)

4. mw360, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

A guy visits multiple bars at the weekend, and you think it's odd that he didn't drive home?

Edit: To the OP, take it in to an Apple store. They don't have to give you a new one, but in my experience if you're nice to them, they'll find a way to help you out.

5. ECB thread starter macrumors member

1. Yeah, when you go to a bar you most likely drink. Going to bars (plural) insinuates a night of drinking at several different bars. I dropped the phone on the sidewalk on our way back home.

2. After a night of drinking, driving doesn't sound like the smartest idea. Plus, I live in a city where everything is pretty close.

3. A battery of anything can progressively get worse. The battery was getting bad before I dropped it and continued afterwards. Is it really that far-fetched?

P.S. If my phone has a cracked screen and I have the potential of getting a refurbished one without a cracked screen, why wouldn't I?

Congratulations for explaining my question back to me!

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good response to an off-topic post. Maybe he thought you were still drunk. Or maybe he's drunk. Or I am. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, the screen throws another variable into an already wiggly situation. Typically a Genius will test the battery and if it's bad replace it, and if it tests good not replace it. You'll find every variation possible of that on this site so until you go in you won't know for sure what's going to happen.

When I needed a battery they gave me the option of having it replaced or giving me a replacement phone. I took the replacement because it was quicker and I was fortunate that it had the newer guts that's usable on more networks. You won't have that concern with your newer phone.

But again, with a cracked screen all bets are off. They may make you use one of your replacement if you have AppleCare+ or pay for a replacement or repairs, or maybe they'll give you a replacement for free. Anything is possible. :) Good luck!

7. ECB thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for you response, I'll be sure to post my fate.