Cracked screen touch 4th - free repair at Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gapperonduty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

I, as well as most, have read on many threads and forums floating on the web about the one time free touch replacement if you in your cracked screen touch...

has anyone here have a good experience with these good stories themselves? better if you are residing in New York...

thanx for any inputs...

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Never used it, but my understanding is this -- it's for warranty issues, that are maybe not huge.

Can't see how a cracked screen could/would come under this.

I presume you dropped it and cracked the screen?

3. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

yea...my gf, she dropped it and unfortunately there are two long cracks across the screen...

a little search online yields quite a few threads detailing how Apple would, for one time, replaced the ipod for free...such as this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2811291?start=0&tstart=0

dating as late as April I think...

I am going to fix it for her anyway but just wondered if there are other encouraging stories from here that might get my hopes up for a little charity from Apple ! :)

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wouldn't read it like that.

Apple's policy is that physical damage is not covered by the warranty, and is not eligible for any "free repair".

The employees are given some discretion in this area, and may offer to replace it for free. Again, that is the exception, not the rule.

It will all come down to the specific employee you interact with.

And FWIW, the store I worked at, there was only a certain amount of "freebies" that the store was allowed to give out before it started to affect the financial performance of the store (and would be cut off for the remainder of that month). Not sure if all stores are run that way.

5. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

They wouldnt replace my sisters 7 month old iPod touch 4th gen.

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Yep a sweet boyfriend would handfix it himself and provide the surprise :)

8. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

good news! those stories that we have read about the free replacement...today I attest that they are true...

after agreeing to paying the repair cost (99 for our 8 months old 8gb touch), he took the ipod to the back and came back with a new touch wrapped in plastic and told us that this is a one time free replacement for the screen...

whao, I and my gf were ecstatic and very appreciative of the great customer service and their kind accommodation. I guess from the replies here, they are under no obligation to do this, but I guess they did...

so anyway it was done at the Greene street temporary apple store (SoHo one is under renovation)...

thank you Apple! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

9. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sorry they didn't do it for you...maybe you could try another store?

The Upper West Side one not only did not replace it for us, they actually quoted 149 for our 8gb touch (price quoted online is 99 for 8gb). that's why we tried the SoHo one and didn't expect that they wpi;d replaced it for us there...

10. BlackTofu macrumors member

If the screen is not crash by yourself, you can send it back to Apple to repair any times in 1 year. If yes, No...

11. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

accidental damage is not covered. As it shouldn't be. If I break my (insert any product) do I get a free replacement? No.

Warranty does not = insurance.

12. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

I know right? We went in to the Apple store not expecting much but just harboring a slight hope to be surprised, and we were in deed surprised by the generosity of Apple in replacing our ipod.

My GF told him that she dropped it by accident and just asked to have it repaired and everything else you already knew...

I am going to end this thread by saying that if you have a broken screen, bring it to Apple Store and be honest, who knows, you will also be pleasantly surprised! Whatever mystery policy Apple is using to please its customers, it is FANTASTIC! :)