Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebs530

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hello, so last night I dropped my iPhone 5 and cracked the front screen in 2 places. One that goes from the button left of the screen all the way across to the right, and one at the top that goes down to about midway. I searched around and found that apple charges $150 for a new screen and I just can't put up that type of money right now.

However, I'd like to protect the screen as much as I could for now so what are my best options? I'm worried about water so should I put a screen protector on it? Which screen protector would best protect it from further damage?

Any information available would help and I would greatly appreciate

Thanks.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Depending on how bad the crack is you can probably just use the phone or put a screen protector on. You just might want to be more careful about what you expose your phone to (water, keys, etc).
A while back I used an iPhone with a cracked screen for over two years, and the cracks mostly only got worse when I dropped it. These devices are pretty resistant to being broken.

Just got the screen replacement service this weekend at the Apple store for a friend's phone. The replacement screen works great, and was $51 since the device had AppleCare+.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Hello, so last night I dropped my iPhone 5 and cracked the front screen in 2 places. One that goes from the button left of the screen all the way across to the right, and one at the top that goes down to about midway. I searched around and found that apple charges $150 for a new screen and I just can't put up that type of money right now.

However, I'd like to protect the screen as much as I could for now so what are my best options? I'm worried about water so should I put a screen protector on it? Which screen protector would best protect it from further damage?

Any information available would help and I would greatly appreciate

Thanks.

Putting a screen protector might make it worse. The screen protector may stick on to the separated and shattered glass and dislodge it off the rest of the screen, especially when you try to remove it in the future.
I would recommand cases that also cover the display exclusively. Maybe lifeproof cases, or Otterbox. Not only those protect your phone extremely well, but they also cover up the cracks on your screen.
But if you really want to opt for just a simple film over your cracked screen, I would recommand skins instead of screen protectors. And that is if you are not planning to remove it for a very long time, so its permanent. Those coloured skins that you can place on the display will surely cover up the ugly cracks.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
No offense to the OP or anyone else that doesn't protect their iPhones and screens, but geez, c'mon, the phone's screen is made out of GLASS ! Why in their right minds would anyone not try to protect their phones in the first place is beyond me. Odds are, eventually, EVERYONE drops their phones. Knowing this, I don't know why people don't protect their phones. If you wanna go naked, at least spend a few bucks on a decent screen protector. Isn't it better to spend $30+ bucks on a quality screen protector, than to have to spend $150 on a new sceen ? Some of them show videos of the screen protectors going through torture tests without cracking the screen, they are sure enough going to protect against the possible occassional drop.

I know people who buy screen guards, like Ghost Armor or other similar brands, and some of them do full body protection, then throw a bumper on your phone, and then you still keep the phone sleek looking, but protected.

Every iPhone I've ever owned, I had bought a case before I even had the phone, knowing how fragile these things are. It's just common sense. I've had the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and now the iPhone 5, and everytime I trade them in for a new one, they look pretty brand new. And that's because they are protected from day one.

Luckily for the OP, there are kiosks in most malls that replace the screens for about $70, I'd go that route, and then protect the hell out of the phone afterwards.

ebs530

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Putting a screen protector might make it worse. The screen protector may stick on to the separated and shattered glass and dislodge it off the rest of the screen, especially when you try to remove it in the future.
I would recommand cases that also cover the display exclusively. Maybe lifeproof cases, or Otterbox. Not only those protect your phone extremely well, but they also cover up the cracks on your screen.
But if you really want to opt for just a simple film over your cracked screen, I would recommand skins instead of screen protectors. And that is if you are not planning to remove it for a very long time, so its permanent. Those coloured skins that you can place on the display will surely cover up the ugly cracks.

Would you recommend something like this? http://www.bodyguardz.com/apple-iphone-5-cases-screen-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007

Without a doubt, at the very least. I actually went one step further and bought the Bodyguardz Pure screen protector (on Amazon). It's a little pricier, but I know if I drop my phone, the screen won't crack. Of course, I would get it after you get a new screen. It won't help a cracked screen.

Not to sound all high and mighty in my last posting. I just hate to see people with cracked screens, I feel bad for them.

Just an fyi, I have the Bodyguardz Pure screen protector, a Tech21 Impact Shell case (black), and a Ghost Armor clear protective back covering on my phone. So I'm covered pretty much if I drop my phone accidentily, yet the phone is still pretty sleek.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.