Cracked unresponsive 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anon198, Feb 9, 2012.

1. anon198, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

anon198 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have an iPhone 3G in my posession. It belongs to my friend and he managed to drop it in the pub at the weekend twice. First time cracked the screen and it continued to work, the second time cracked the screen a little more and then became unresponsive to touch.

i will be replacing the screen for him when he buys a replacement. However, in the meantime he has asked if it is possible to retrieve his contacts and photos. Currently the phone is locked so will not register on my PC until i have entered his pascode. However, as his phone is unresponsive to touch we cant unlock it to get the data off. Is there any way around this? even if it is just the contacts.

Any help is much appreciated.

BTW - he does not have a pc so he has no backup. once the screen is fixed hopefully this wont be an issue but he will have to wait for payday.

Perhaps there is a way of being able to enter the passcode through the PC?

2. normanbates macrumors regular

The only way to get the data backed up is to plug it into the computer that was used to initially activate it, or the last computer to run a backup of it. That computer doesn't need it to be unlocked. It's only when it needs to access the iTunes store for the first time that it needs the pass code entering.

If he bought it second hand and already activated then he needs to go back to the person he bought it from and beg and plead to plug it into their machine.

Also the backup is stored in a folder within the iTunes 'labyrinth' of folders and can be taken off one pc and put onto another so the backup can be run from another machine, but which ever machine it goes on will still need it to be unlocked so it can access the iTunes store (apart from the first one it was plugged into that is)