Cracked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TBRAMS, Oct 9, 2011.

1. TBRAMS macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought my iphone 4 at bestbuy in late June/early July. I have a slickwrap carbonfiber skin on the back of my phone. I noticed it was a little bumpy the other day so I peeled it up to find the back bottom right corner of my phone cracked and a crack going up to the top as well. I cleaned it up and it is now smooth and unnoticable with the skin on it, but it drives me nuts knowing it's cracked. What should I do?

2. wpotere Guest

Replace the back, simple enough...

www.ifixit.com

3. TBRAMS thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have insurance, but I know thAt I will get a refurbished phone if I send it in. I don't want a refurbished phone, but I also don't want to pay 100+ for the replacement from ifixit. Where can I get this piece for cheaper?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to Apple.
    I think they will charge you $30.

5. TBRAMS thread starter macrumors member

Can't find it, do you have a link?
    Thanks

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not on the website.
    You just gotta to to an Apple store.
    I had mine replaced about 3-4 months ago.
    They took it in the back and put in a new back piece for $29 or so.
    Not bad.
    The front piece with the screen and all is what costs an arm and a leg. The back plate is cheap and easy to switch out.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Unscrew 2 screws at the bottom, slide it up. It takes 2 minutes to replace. If you don't mind the aftermarket, you can get one from Fleabay, it cost under $10 including shipping.