Cracking in unibody macbook pro metal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by volcom1151, Feb 9, 2009.

1. volcom1151 macrumors member

has anyone had tiny cracks in the metal of the unibodies? I have a macbook pro with an invisible shield on it and I have noticed what looks to be a tiny crack about a cm in length. When I rub back and forth on the invisible shield it goes away as is the chemical used to hold on the shield fills it in? if anyone experienced anything similar with cracking say something thanks

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Did you consider it might be a flaw in the invisible shield?

I'm not a metallurgist, but I'm pretty sure you can't make cracks in aluminium go away by rubbing.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I could have sworn that metal didn't "crack", either. :p

Plastic cracks. Metal dents.

4. volcom1151 thread starter macrumors member

i was thinking that about the aluminum but i figured id post this just to be safe

5. thebeans macrumors 6502

Actually metal can crack easily. Especially aluminum. Since the MBP Uni's are machined from solid billet aluminum, they should be fairly resistant to cracking but if there was tension built up during manufacturing or if the aluminum was not properly heat treated it could be very brittle.

What area of the MBP do you suspect is cracked? Can you post a pic? You might want to remove the protective covering and make sure. If it is cracked and there are no signs of impact or other physical damage, it might be considered a defect and be covered under warranty. Not sure though. Good luck. :D

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think the OP is referring to the "brush finish" on the body, which appears fine 'crack-like' when clear tape is placed over it.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, you would be surprised how easy metal can crack.

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Metal definitely cracks. I worked on many corporate jet aircraft (Gulfstream 1, for example...) and we routinely would cut out aluminum wing spar sections when the cracks exceeded specs, and the factory would make custom repair kits for each plane, send us the parts, and we'd actually splice in the new sections...

Turbine blades on jet engines can crack, landing gear can crack, aluminum skin on aircraft can, and will crack, cast wheels can crack, and on and on... which is why non-destructive inspection techniques are so necessary to discover nearly invisible cracks from metal fatigue long before they would ever be seen by the naked eye... and hopefully long before they'd actually fail.

Yup... metal cracks. :)

11. pkagel macrumors regular

I really doubt that their are cracks in the Mac though due to nothing really being subject to any flexing in the metal on a Mac.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im pretty sure the unibodys do flex, at least the ones ive played with at the store. One piece= strength yet still quite flexible, more pieces or layers= rigidness

13. volcom1151 thread starter macrumors member

i will post pictures in a week or 2 when i have my camera and see what you think

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd hightail it to an Apple store. They'd give you a new one on the spot.

15. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

ultra neo...

Do you live in japan? just curious because i hope to come there one day thanks

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

This thread will be 10 pages back in a week or two

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like a kink in the invisibleSHIELD. Usually happens when you squeegee all the liquid out or you didn't use enough liquid when applying it.

18. khongaeng macrumors regular

Metal Cracking Confirmed

I can confirm that the MB Pro aluminum case can crack, but it sounds like I have experienced cracking on a different part of the computer.

When I was upgrading my hard drive to a 7200RPM model, the metal in the hard drive compartment cracked. I suspect that it was due to thermal expansion, becuase I had just pulled the computer out of a very cold car and had brought it inside to a warm room temperature climate. I think the metal that lines the inside of the hard drive compartment is extremely thin, by looking at the machining tool marks and seeing the depth of the crack. However, fortunately for me the crack is only visible with the hard drive removed and will never bee seen again until I open my computer and upgrade to a 16 TB SSD hard drive for $20 in less than 2 years.

19. johnsy macrumors 6502

people worry too much about non essential things. I understand if a whole case would crack or bend, but a 1 cm crack which you can't even see!!!:p:D:p
    My classic mbp bottom is fairly scratched and I don't care at all. It does not affect performance in any way.

edit

yah, it is usually newbies who shell out 2 grands and after 2 days feel remorse and start worrying too much.

20. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

More like 16 GB :rolleyes: Maybe time to put away the crack? :p

21. zebbz macrumors member

i think its just the invisibleshield

i had it on my ipod classic
    and it used to look like a bit of it had cracked on the side

until the day i took it off when there was too much 'pocket dust' on the sides of the shield and it was just a bit of the invisibleshield, like the glue underneath or a fold or crease or something

as i say the ipod (which is made of similar material) was fine

22. theow macrumors newbie

I just got a MBP Unibody 13" 2 days ago. I noticed a hairline crack on the right hinge part of the casing (near the power button) when I first opened it.

I was debating taking it back under the 30 day no questions asked policy.
    Today I opened up my laptop and noticed another crack which was not there yesterday. The new crack is to the right of the trackpad.

Here is the new crack:
    [​IMG]

And the first crack - by the hinge:
    [​IMG]

Here are full size images of the two cracks:
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000849.jpg
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000850.jpg
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000851.jpg
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000852.jpg
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000853.jpg
    http://theo.tw/misc/mbp/L1000854.jpg

It might look like the crack in the image is raised or a scratch but looking closely it is clear it is a crack it is even wider in the center and narrow on either end.

Anyway to me this is a little worrying - I wouldn't expect to be seeing stress fractures so quickly.
    Maybe this could be because it is a very recent batch?

23. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

^^^I would take it back, and it's 14 days as i recall.