Cracking severe enough to be replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MissRachel, Dec 10, 2011.

1. MissRachel macrumors newbie

Hi. :) I'm a long time lurker of this forum but I haven't had a need to post until now.

I have a 2009 white Macbook, and unfortunately, the plastic is cracking. The cracks are definitely not as bad as some that I've seen here, but they're still obviously cracks.

First, there's this little chip in the corner of the palmrest.

[​IMG]

The palmrest is also doing some weird... spacing... thingy; there's a bit of a gap between the palmrest and the bottom part of the case that was not there when the computer was new (it's very small, though). My trackpad is also pretty badly discolored: it has a nasty yellowish tinge, and this happened sometime shortly after I got the computer in April of 2009. I have no idea what I did to cause it to discolor, though.

There's also this crack in the bezel:

[​IMG]

I'm also concerned about these cracks on the bottom, near the hinge (I know they're hard to see, I'm sorry; all I can say is that they're much more obvious in real life):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I look at the pictures the cracks don't seem bad at all. I guess they don't really bother me but I don't think that they should be there, considering that this is a $1000 computer. If I took my Mac to the Apple store, would they replace the parts of the case that are cracked just because they are cracked, or do the cracks have to meet some level of severity?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I don't know why this has gone unanswered, but yes. If you bought it new in 2009 they will definitely replace both the top case and screen bezel.

They probably won't do anything about the hinge or bottom case as that is not part of the quality program.

3. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

They won't replace the bottom of your computer.

4. MissRachel thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Thank you for the opinions. :)

Yeah, the bottom isn't my main concern because that isn't seen, haha, I was just wondering because the cracks there seem to be in what could be a dangerous spot. I just wasn't sure if they would replace the top case because the only sign of cracking is that little chipped piece. Who's to say that the crack wouldn't spread later, I guess? I'll probably take my computer in to the store next week and see what they have to say.