Cracking the Aluminium Casing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr meshuggah, May 16, 2010.

1. mr meshuggah macrumors newbie

mr meshuggah

Hi all, I recently received my 17" i7 MBP and at this point in time I'm as happy as a pig in ****.

First thing I did was to apply some Moshi protector gear - palm guard, track guard and clear guard - however while using it today I applied what I thought may be a bit too much pressure on one side of the palm area and heard a creaking sound. Not wanting to remove the palm guard, has anyone here ever experienced any problems with aluminium shells of these computers? Cracks, fractures, etc.

2. silencer88 macrumors member

Aluminum in general doesn't crack or fracture, it bends. So most of the time when someone manages to hurt their MacBook pro it's a bend or a dent you see. The unibody MacBook pros like yours are even tougher than the older style ones, so you probably didn't hurt anything. The creaking you heard may have been the bottom cover moving against the main block of aluminum, but I can't reproduce the sound on my computer (I have the 15").

Bottom line, if you can't see anything wrong and everything is working, you didn't break anything.