Crackle noise from speaker during Siri/Dictation - iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eric3312, May 19, 2015.

1. eric3312, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

eric3312 macrumors 6502

I vaguely remember reading others mention this, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I have a launch day iPhone 6 and sometimes the speaker will crackle when playing a sound, almost as if there's something in the speaker or it's cutting out. Actually...it seems to only happen with Siri/Dictation now that I think of it..or to the best of my knowledge anyways.

This is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing:

http://youtu.be/iAd8wnt4uvU

Could you guys try the following? With your iPhone 6, hold down the home button to activate Siri, and then cancel Siri, and see if there is a speaker popping noise st the end there.

Also try the voice dictation feature and see if there is a popping noise at the end

Try each of those things a good 20 to 30 times and see if you hear that popping sound.

I'm curious to see what happens.

Id like to know if a trip to the Apple Store is needed or if this is just another flaw with the 6.

Thank you!

2. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whether it's a loose screen, a crunchy home button, or a crappy speaker, I always seem to get the lemons when I order the new iPhone.

I thought this was typical with the new iPhone 6 model. Sometimes a crackle or pop can be heard from the speaker.

3. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Don't forget the off kilter front camera on the six.

4. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll have to make a trip to the Apple Store to get it fixed. Wonder if they replace/fix the speaker or just swap the phone.

5. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone else weigh in on this? I could've sworn this was a common thing with the iPhone six.

I don't want to waste my time getting the phone replaced if it's just a common thing that is going to happen on the replacement too.

I remember seeing forums about this but I just can't find them now

6. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I haven't seen threads on this for the 6's

Mine is crystal clear--:)

7. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing: I actually notice it only happens at the same points this guy references.

http://youtu.be/iAd8wnt4uvU

Could you guys try the following? With your iPhone 6, hold down the home button to activate Siri, and then cancel Siri, and see if there is a speaker popping noise st the end there.

Also try the voice dictation feature and see if there is a popping noise at the end

Try each of those things a good 15 to 20 times and see if you hear that popping sound.

I'm curious to see what happens.

8. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Hear some popping noises at times. Couldn't really tell if it was a hardware thing or software thing so never bothered sequestering help. I don't want strangers doing a heart transplant on my new phone if I can help it.

9. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so you heard it a few times doing the stuff I just asked you about? a little pop or crackle? Or are you just talking in general.

I hate to be annoying. I'll be honest. I have OCD and it's hard for me to deal with these slight imperfections. I have to work on my problem. But I'd like to know if a trip to the Apple Store is a waste of time a new unit might just yield the same problem

Let me know what you think.

10. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

My guess is more people would have noticed this and said something about it.

However, I am still curious to get some more results from people before I spend an entire at the Apple Store zoo.

11. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate to be "that guy" but is anyone able to perform the test I mentioned with siri to see if their speaker pops on occasion?

If it's normal and just crappy design by Apple, I'm not going to waste my time standing in line at the App store, getting a replacement device, trying to get the screen protector on, only for it to happen on this device as well.

Thank you in advance and for understanding. I only have a day or so available for the next month where I can go, so I just need to figure out what to do.

Thank you very much!

12. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I went to the Apple Store and they recommended we replace the speaker. I opted out and asked for a new phone.

Got the new phone, which actually had a nicer non-crunchy home button. But...low and behold when I got home and activated/canceled Siri, I got the same little crackle/pop noise.

I'm going to guess this is software related where the speaker isn't really making the crappy noise, but rather, The software is causing it. Or, Apple's deteriorating quality control has allowed for the people making the phones to rush and not even focus on securing the connections, making sure the front facing camera doesn't shift, fully securing the home buttons so they don't have a crunch noise to them like you're breaking it, etc.

So irritated that this expensive of a product could have such a stupid, annoying issue.

Needed to vent. Sorry for sounding like a baby.