crackling buzz when connecting (brand-new) MBP to stereo-- Dangerous for Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jun 18, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Hi, I finally joined the 21st Century and got my first laptop.

I've had my G4 connected to my stereo for years. 1/8" stereo mini in the headphone jack to my old Marantz (there's a 1/8" to RCA slitter at the stereo).

Yesterday I set up my new system and plugging in my jack to the MBP everything worked fine. Then I noticed if I jiggle it, or barely even touch the cord moving it ever so slightly, there are loud crackling pops and depending on if it goes back into position perfectly or not there may be a buzzing.

It sounds like a loose jack would sound but i KNOW my MBP doesn't have a loose jack. The cable is fine too. I'm not worried about the cable being 'heavy' or pulling on the jack. I feel the jack will be okay. But does it heard the internal circuitry (the obvious results of the crackling?).

Does anyone experience issues like this with their MBP?

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The jack is dying and its going to keep getting worse and worse, use apple care if you have it, the computer will be fine but eventually the jack will be unusable

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for responding.

So there will be no harm to my logic or sound board, right? I wanted to double check since although I know signals come "out" it worried me that the resulting crackling sounds could be voltage coming "in".

You think the jack is dying??? I just bought it a few days ago!? That was my first time even touching the jack.

I just tested it with headphones and it was much better. Even if I wiggle it everything sounded fine (there was one real small pop but that was from me I'm sure).

Does anyone use a mini cable to connect to their stereo and have they had problems?

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

How do you know the cable is fine then? When you get that sound by moving the cord its caused by a poor connection from something, like frayed wires or bad soldering.