Crackling from MBP TB Speaker

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi everyone, Had this computer for less then one month. And a sound that I played had tons of distortion when I applied audio gain to the audio clip I was doing. When I played it back. There was tons of distortion and after that the speakers became really quiet. After restarting the computer the right speaker at high volumes has this crackling/distortion sound to certain parts of songs. Is the speaker ruined?

Last edited:

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Play some YouTube video at max volume without any effects, if it doesn't sound perfectly clear, then the speakers got damaged.
If so, contact Apple and they will replace the top case for you free of charge. (Keyboard, speakers, trackpad, battery)

I had same issue with a blown speaker when i had the 2017 15" MBP.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Play some YouTube video at max volume without any effects, if it doesn't sound perfectly clear, then the speakers got damaged.
If so, contact Apple and they will replace the top case for you free of charge. (Keyboard, speakers, trackpad, battery)

I had same issue with a blown speaker when i had the 2017 15" MBP.
Same problem everywhere. Spotify, iTunes, YouTube. So defiantly a hardware issue. Computer isn’t even a month old.

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Same problem everywhere. Spotify, iTunes, YouTube. So defiantly a hardware issue. Computer isn’t even a month old.
Like i said, just call Apple or bring it to the nearest Apple or AASP shop and they will sort it out for you.
Same happened with my previous 2017 MBP within a month. From a Skype notification came a horrible loud electric noise that didnt go away until i restarted the MacBook. When i switched it back on, the left speakers were distorted and very low volume.