Crackling noise from rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Katanae, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Katanae macrumors member

Got mine today and noticed some noise coming from it which i can't classify.
    It's like a crackling noise similar to a mechanical hard drive.
    You can only hear it if it's quiet but it is really noticeable.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/goy56l

Recored holding my iPhone to the keyboard.

Any ideas?

2. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Besides static, I can barely hear a thing. I think I hear some ticks, which are likely the hard drive heads moving around. Completely normal (unless you have an SSD… then it's probably the fans; not "as normal" but probably okay considering it's barely audible).

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It's a Retina Macbook Pro so SSD only

4. PaulAtkinson macrumors member

Is this when you rest your palms?

Mine sounds like Rice Krispies when I rest my hands on the palm rest spots, only when I am applying pressure. I can repeat this over and over, simply by pressing on the computer. It sounds like plastic wrap is crinkling between the batteries and the aluminum. I have decided that (if I keep the computer), I will just accept this as part of the "character" of the machine.

5. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Opps! I even checked the apple store page before posting to be sure they can come with HDD, but didn't realize after clicking "retina mbp" it still shows all models.

My guess would be fan(s) then… which wouldn't be normal and may be worth returning for a new one since it's brand new (assuming no one else hears this sound on their new rmbp).(?)

6. Katanae thread starter macrumors member

This seems to appear periodically yet it does not seem to have to do anything with the workload of the computer.
    But we do agree no component of this computer is supposed to make noise ilke this?

7. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

It shouldn't make any noise AFAIK. If it doesn't happen when resting your palms on palmrest like PaulAtkinson, then I believe the only moving part in the computer (the only thing that could make a ticking noise) would be fans. But again, it's very hard to hear the noise (especially with my MBA speakers).

8. Katanae thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sorry I don't have a better recording device, I think you can hear it pretty well with half decent speakers on high volume.
    It sounds like writing heads of conventional hard drives and also a little like the sound OSX makes when changing the volume.

9. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

For peace of mind, I'd go into an Apple Store just to have them hear it. Not that they are great at diagnosing anything, but maybe it's a more common problem that I don't know about. I'm just worried it's something with the new batteries in there. A clicking battery would be very bad I imagine.

10. Katanae thread starter macrumors member

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Take it to the Genius Bar. If anything you'll get a replacement and peace of mind.

12. Katanae thread starter macrumors member

No store near me unfortunately, will take it to a reseller though.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

If you are still within the return period for the macbook pro, I would just return it and try your luck with a new one.

Once you pass this return window, they won't let you swap it out for a new one anymore. And if they can't reproduce the problem (which is probably what they will say, if they don't say it is typical of the machine) then you are pretty much stuck with that problem.

I don't think the SSD should make any clicking noises like old HDDs did. There shouldn't be any moving parts. The only thing I can think of is the fans. It is possible that with the new fan design, it is SO quiet, that the slight clicks you are hearing are actually just the fans operating nominally (i.e. instead of hearing wooshing air, you are just hearing the fan blade movement).

Either that or the asymmetrical design of the blades has led to an unbalance, which is causing the blades to make a clicking noise.

I noticed the rMBP has 2 more vents on the side of the machine. Dunno what they are for, maybe heat ventilation, but this may also lead to hearing more fan noise.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Doesn't sound right at all. It's like there's a geiger counter in there lol. I can't think of any reasonable justification for the rmbp to make that noise., :eek:

Aside from some weird chemical reaction going on, I can only imagine it's the fans - in which case they may be scraping. Is the noise constant no matter the workload?

15. Ahzari macrumors newbie

having similar noise problems with my rMBP

Hey, you might want to check out this thread, a few others have posted with similar "odd" noise issues coming from the rMBP. I have had 2 and both exhibited this problem, another poster also had a replacement sent with the replacement unit having the noise too. Some units have been worse than others - Apple Care told me to send mine in to be checked and they are sending out a replacement unit (this will be #3).

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18939831#18939831

Also quick fix I noticed with my units was to switch off automatic graphics switching in the power menu - instantly stopped the noise (I'm thinking its coming from the built in graphics).