"Crackling" noise when closing MBP lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VTBoy206, Apr 25, 2009.

1. VTBoy206 macrumors newbie

There is a small crackling noise when I close my MBP lid. It seems like the joints are really dry and need oil almost. Is this normal?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm. See what others say, but I don't know if I'd spray WD-40 on them or anything like that. Does indeed sound like the hinge needs some lubricant.

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Maybe some friction between the lid and the actual body?

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Is it an older Mbp ? If so, it may be that the LCD panel inside the top case is a little loose and flexes as you open/close. To test just apply pressure on the lid at different places as you close to see if the crackling goes away. Unfortunately the solution is to replace the entire display assembly...

If it's a unibody,I don't know...

If it is the hinges, all you need to do is open up the top case (on the old MBP) and the hinges are there. Perhaps you can apply some lubricant there. I used to do that on my tibook and it was greatly improved.

5. atheros07 macrumors member

Mines crackles a bit too-- it's a 1-month old unibody MBP. If you're in a quiet room you can hear the hinge crackle a bit when shutting the lid. It's not enough to be annoying yet but I worry it'll get worse.

6. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I would try cleaning the hinge w/ some compressed air. Then apply a VERY small amount of lubricant from a drip bottle like this.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Holy crap. I had never heard the crackling noise until I just closed my unibody MBP 2 seconds ago. I swear this thread cursed it. :rolleyes:

8. apple head macrumors newbie

i'm getting this crackling on the unibody as well...its freaking me out. when its laid on my desk and i put pressure below the keyboard i hear nothing. but if i slightly lift it and put a little pressure i can hear light crackling. everything works fine...but i'm worried. i've only had it for 2 months now

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

My uMBP is nearing one year old (October 29) and it creaks worse than my grandmother's joints.

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Mine used to 'crackle' but I found it just needs wearing in and it'll be fine :)