Crackling sound on the late MBP 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kuro123, Mar 1, 2017.

1. kuro123 macrumors newbie

kuro123

Anyone experience crackling sound every once in a while with the late MBP 2016? I feel like it could be electrical related.

2. rafius15 macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm having the same issue!
    Every once in a while a "crack!" comes out of my 2016 tbMbp. It's super annoying!
    I will take mine to an apple Store this week because apart of this crackling sound, my computer restarts some times when i connect a usb-c device, the down arrow key works 50% of the time, and the battery, oh god the battery is awful!

I'm so disappointed with this machine

3. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Does it sound like this?

If so, I have the same on my MBP 2015 brand new device
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    I got the same, listen to my video in this post.
    My device is in for repair with a repair guy, but he don't know what to do.

4. Bonaqua macrumors member

You decided to send in your TBMBP for repair? I thought you were going to live with it. Please keep us posted
    to what they conclude is the problem. I have the crack/creak as well.

Cheers

5. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

This is not due to the hang, this is something else.
    The hang cracking that can I live with but not if it's from the logic hardware.
    This is my mbp 2015 brand new it's not even a 2016 model but it has the same issue as my 2016 did have that I did replace for the mbp 2015 15"

Apple repair can't find anything that's wrong on the machine, they have been running all of the tests.
    But they are telling me that this sound are not normal, and that's something wrong with the machine.
    I'll have a update later today or tomorrow.

6. steve77uk macrumors regular

I had this myself. I believe that it is a fan in the computer. To me it sounded like an old clunky hard drive reading data back in the day.

When ever it started up (when the fan might sometimes kick in) or under load the clicking got louder. It was always on the left hand side in mine. It was a brand new replacement and my MBP was a spot on until I heard the clicking (3rd day of use, not the 1st).

When I phoned up to ask for another replacement, Apple Care told me to reset the SMC?

Despite me thinking it would be a waste of time due to being a mechanical sound, it actually worked! I have no idea, but whilst it was prominent over the past day or so, I have not heard it since.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

Whilst this really did solve it for me, YMMV...

Reset the SMC on Mac notebook computers

First, determine whether the battery is removable. Mac notebook computers that have a nonremovable battery include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) and later. Learn more about Mac notebook batteries.

If the battery is nonremovable:
    1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Unplug the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter from your computer.
    3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
      If you have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
    4. Release all keys.
    5. Reconnect the power adapter.
    6. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

7. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Good that it worked for you, but for me smc don't work sadly.

And maybe your right it's three things it can be:
    1. Fan
    2. Speakers
    3. Electronic sound due to some kind of failure from the circuit board.

My bet is on no 1 or 2.

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I haven't experienced any of this, is this only with the TouchBar version?

9. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

The issue is reported for the TB and the nonTB.

Also as I stated earlier in this thread I'm also having the issue on a MacBook Pro 15" 2015 model build 2017/01

10. kuro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

kuro123

I have the 13' non touchbar MBP

11. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Reviving this older thread because last night on my 2016 15" TB model, I noticed an audible crackling sound coming from under the keyboard. I could easily re-create the sound by simply loading a website. Sounded like a component was clocking (not sure of technical term). I ran a diagnostic and everything came back fine.

I took this advice to Reset the SMC, and it worked! I used it for a few more hours last night, as well as this morning and there's no more crackling. Thanks for the tip.