Crackling sounds in songs when importing a cd, is my 'superdrive' broken?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimiwillz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jimiwillz macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have recently bought my first iMac and it was working fine and i could import all my cds and they played fine but now for some reason there is a crackling sound every 5 or so seconds when playing a cd and when playing songs once they have been imported using itunes.

Please help if you know what the problem is :confused:

I have tried many cds and it happens on all of them in the same place for each song, is my cd/dvd drive broken and i need to take the imac to apple or something? :(

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You didn't by any chance play with the importing settings in the iTunes preferences? I think this may be more of an importing issue rather than a broken SuperDrive.

You may want to look at this Apple Discussion thread.

By the way, what are the specs of the iMac? Intel? OS X 10.4? OS X 10.5? iTunes 7.6? May want to update to the latest patches for both the OS (Tiger or Leopard) and iTunes if you haven't done so.

Hope this helps.

3. jimiwillz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm quite sure I didn't play around with any of the importing settings.

Its an intel iMac with OS X.5.2 (1st patch) and iTunes 7.6 but I haven't updated to the latest patches yet because internet plans are so slack here in New Zealand and my internet has been too slow lately.

I'll get them as soon as my broadband starts going fast again, hopefully that will solve the problem.