crackling speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rokusaburo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Hey gang,
    I've got my Sony stereo hooked up to my Mac Pro for sound, although lately, the speakers have been crackling/popping (can't really explain the sound).

This happens several time a day, either when soemthing or nothing is playing.

The stereo is a previous model of these --> http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22043

Does anyone have any advice?

2. Jessy macrumors regular

How do you have it hooked up? Are you using the TOSlink connection?

Edit: Nevermind, I actually checked out the link and highly doubt any version of this system ever utilized optical cables.

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Did it start to happen after the 10.4.10 update? If so, many people, including myself, are having their speakers crackle/pop on them. No fix yet. :(

4. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

No, It was happening before, unfortunately.

5. Jessy macrumors regular

Is it completely random, or does it happen mainly when you put the computer to sleep or wake it up?

Also, please let us know how you have it hooked up. I am assuming you are using the 1/8 in. line out jack on the back of the Mac Pro. I used to have to sometimes use the jack on my Macbook Pro, because Stepmania's audio programming is garbage, and I'd have the issues you mentioned. However, there is no line out on those computers. It is a headphone jack.

6. j0ebeer macrumors member

Count me in on the ones affected by 10.4.10. Mine are cracking too. Make's using instant messenger quite annoying.

7. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

It's basically completely random. Every now and then, I'll just hear a "pop". Also, the volume of the noise varies (it can get pretty loud), but its usually fairly soft.

Btw, I've got it hooked up using the analogue stereo line-out on the Mac Pro.

8. jimedit1 macrumors member

do you have some kind of cell phone or wireless signal in the room?... that'll do it too.

9. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

I've got a mobile phone and a wireless mouse + internet (if they count?), but I had these before the problem started happening...

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Is your Mac grounded in the powersocket and your stereo isn't? Or the other way around? Or are they both not grounded? How did you connect your Mac to your stereo? What kind of cable? Probably a headphone plug to RCA? If so, then you probably have a discharge of an electric charge from you Mac onto you stereo.

11. Rokusaburo thread starter macrumors member

Rokusaburo

Yes, my Mac is grounded, but my stereo isn't. And I'm using a headphone plug to headphone plug cable (it's actually a headphone plug to headphone socket cable, extended with a headphone plug to headphone plug cable, as a single cable wasn't long enough).