Crackling/white noise in speaker and headphones

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sultan2012, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sultan2012 macrumors newbie

Greetings! I made a big mistake plugging my guitar amp into the headphone jack in my wife's almost newiPad 2!:eek: was using the Garageband app. The amp output volume was not very high but I heard something from the speaker like a crackle/pop. Since then the sound coming from both the speaker and through the headphones is distorted, like white noise or crackling. Can still hear music but the noise is overwhelming. Have done a restart but nothing is working. Haven't been able to find the same problem in the forums, please help!

2. cRuNcHiE, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Do you mean you plugged the iPad output into the guitar amp INput or did you connect two outputs together :eek:?

If you plugged the iPad out to the guitar amp input then hopefully it's just a bit of dust/dirt on the headphone socket.

Try twisting the plug when inserted into the iPad and plug it in and out several times to try and dislodge the dirt.

If you plugged the headphone out of the amp into the iPad headphone output then it may have burned it out.

Also, guitar amps are designed to take a guitar surprisingly enough! Some have an aux input which is suitable for the iPad output but plugging an iPad directly into the guitar amp input will cause extra hiss due to low impedance.

3. Sultan2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Crunchie.... Yes, I essentially connected both outputs together. From what I understood, I thought the ipad output will switch over to an input!, GarageBand confused me. Apparently I need an "iRig" for that... So if the output is burned out, it would affect both headphone and external speaker? Do you know how easily it's fixed? I'm based in Pakistan and there are no authorized Apple dealers that I know of here...:confused:

4. cRuNcHiE, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

By external speaker do you mean the iPad built in speaker?

It's probably damaged the audio output amplifier, I've no idea how that would be fixed I'm afraid but either way it would be a job for the apple store.

Just googled and it sounds like it needs a new logic board :(

5. Sultan2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sorry I meant the iPad built in speaker. :(
    Oh well, thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!