Cracks on 2008 white Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notaznguy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. notaznguy macrumors member

So I've had my white Macbook for about 2.5 years now. IMO, I've kept it in pretty condition. I have often cleaned the screen and used the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to keep the computer white and clean. For some time now, my Macbook had started cracking. Initially I thought I must've done something to crack it; maybe it may have dropped my backpack when the laptop was in there once?

Well actually I decided to look up the issue online and it appears that cracking Macbooks is a common problem. I was thinking of taking it to a Genius Bar and seeing what they had to say. I don't have Apple Care and my warranty is way expired. What is the likelihood the Genius Bar will repair my Macbook cracks? And for how much, if not, free?

Here are some pics of the cracks:

1) This is My Macbook
    [​IMG]

2) This is the "common" crack(s)
    [​IMG]

3) Here is another angle. Notice there are 2 cracks.
    [​IMG]

4) It has even decided to crack even more.
    [​IMG]

5) Here's a small crack that is beginning to crack. It's hard to see, but it is where the spot is at.
    [​IMG]

6) Here's the last crack. It's actually just beginning to crack just like picture #5. Again, it's hard to see on camera, but it's on the left left where the line bulge is.
    [​IMG]

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Make an appointment at the Apple Store, and they should replace the damaged parts for no charge (at the least, they'll replace the top-covering in your first photo). AppleCare is not needed for this. I had it done........

This is a known design defect.

Oh, and put [​IMG]

3. AppleFanatic10, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yep, this is VERY common with the white 2008 model macbooks. I'm not sure why tho, but I doubt that Apple will replace it, although I could be wrong.

4. Surely, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010

Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, Apple will/should repair it for him. They repaired mine which wasn't covered by AppleCare at the time.