Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It's a freaking calculator app......it doesn't have to be "great".....it just has to do math.....my god.

And that's why you aren't an Apple software engineer. "Good enough" isn't their philosophy. In the meantime, no one's stopping you from downloading a run-of-the-mill calculator app or just asking Siri.
[automerge]1593193820[/automerge]
Does this mean the next version of macOS will be called 12.0?

No, 11.1, 11.2, etc. Just like with OS X (10)

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The idea that the Calculator, Weather, and Watch apps are not ready for the iPad is ridiculous. The reason is the same as why there’s no Phone app either... the company needs to maintain an identity difference between the iPhone and iPad or people will simply buy an iPad and not both. That is the only thing stopping both products from simply being a screen size change from each other. So apps that are more mobile-centric (phone, camera, calculator, watch, weather) will remain linked to their mobile product... the iPhone... while the iPad gets trackpad support (and the phone never will).
That might be true in regard to the Phone and Watch app (though Messages and FaceTime exist on the iPad). But nobody is getting an iPhone in addition to an iPad because there is no native weather or calculator app on iPad. There are plenty of great third-party apps for that on iPads, there isn’t really any functionality that third-party apps cannot deliver in that space).

If anything, it might be the existence of great third-party apps for that on iPads, that reduces the urgency for Apple to provide their own versions here.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Oh good lord. Nice spin. Their philosophy with maps, siri, notifications, etc etc seemed to be "good enough".

It's a calculator. It isn't difficult and it's nonsense from Federighi. Take one of the interns off of the emoji and poop designs and have them do the calculator.

And that's why you aren't an Apple software engineer. "Good enough" isn't their philosophy. In the meantime, no one's stopping you from downloading a run-of-the-mill calculator app or just asking Siri.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Craig is not being honest here, but it’s hard to blame him as he represents Apple’s best interests.

The idea that the Calculator, Weather, and Watch apps are not ready for the iPad is ridiculous. The reason is the same as why there’s no Phone app either... the company needs to maintain an identity difference between the iPhone and iPad or people will simply buy an iPad and not both. That is the only thing stopping both products from simply being a screen size change from each other. So apps that are more mobile-centric (phone, camera, calculator, watch, weather) will remain linked to their mobile product... the iPhone... while the iPad gets trackpad support (and the phone never will).

As for Maps on iOS... they worked hard on the new version. They’re not ready to flip the switch letting you change it as the default. And yes, it is just a switch.
I‘m sorry but there is no one not buying an iPad because it doesn’t have a native calculator or weather app.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Craig is not being honest here, but it’s hard to blame him as he represents Apple’s best interests.

As for Maps on iOS... they worked hard on the new version. They’re not ready to flip the switch letting you change it as the default. And yes, it is just a switch.

There is more of a need for a calculator app on an iPad than the Phone app I would argue. Just port the iPhone one, even as just a widget if you cant stand it taking up the whole screen with big buttons, and that will work for a lot of users that are requesting one.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010

I guess we will know when Big Sur gets its first update, if 11.0.1 then the next OS might be 11.1 or if the first update is 11.1, then the next OS might be 12.

In Gruber's interview, they mentioned that they also considered naming Big Sur 14 for consistency with iOS.

Reactions: manu chao

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Oh good lord. Nice spin. Their philosophy with maps, siri, notifications, etc etc seemed to be "good enough".

It's a calculator. It isn't difficult and it's nonsense from Federighi. Take one of the interns off of the emoji and poop designs and have them do the calculator.

Well obviously not everyone will agree with Apple's assessment of their own apps, but what I said is not spin and absolutely true. That's their philosophy.

So, what's the matter with the tons of calculator apps in the App Store? Sounds to me like you actually do they think they could do more with it than "just calculate" if you feel so strongly about Apple making one in spite of the hundreds of other choices.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I was just thinking the same thing. MKBHD usually rambles on his podcast so I was bracing myself for that here, but this was so much more straightforward than Gruber's conversation. I like that he asked a question and just got out of the way so Craig could answer.
interesting people were complaining of fluff questions from Grubber - this was far worst - basically nothing of interest was discussed (calculator missing, really?)

Reactions: matrix07

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
interesting people were complaining of fluff questions from Grubber - this was far worst - basically nothing of interest was discussed (calculator missing, really?)
I mean, the topics were right there in the article, there was no surprise about what they were covering.

Also, the stuff about their decision to let Siri still take over the whole screen was interesting, at least to me, as was the explanation to why they limited defaults apps to mail and browsers (and seem to be open to more in the future).

There were even chapter markers, so you could skip entire sections that didn't interest you.

Reactions: coachingguy

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Default apps - Apple is letting users set third-party mail and browser apps as the default in iOS 14, but this doesn't extend to Maps and other app categories. Federighi said that when Apple looked at the top things people wanted to configure, "those two rose to the top," so it's where Apple started.

So, he admits that this is a functionality users crave. It sounds like Apple decided to release the pressure a little bit by letting customization for just two apps but keep control over all other apps (probably to suppress the competition). Why do they hate their customers so much? It's obvious that people want this customization (just like they want a normal desktop) and Apple is not going to give it to them (just like they refuse to release a desktop computer in its most useful factor)

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Some of his points make sense, others do not. Calculator and Weather... it doesn’t need to be amazing. But if it does, they‘ve had a decade.

Reactions: markicus

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Does this mean the next version of macOS will be called 12.0?
Only the apple marketing gods know. And, frankly, they might not even know yet :)
[automerge]1593196306[/automerge]
Some of his points make sense, others do not. Calculator and Weather... it doesn’t need to be amazing. But if it does, they‘ve had a decade.
I really think they are waiting for floating windows in the OS

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
My main complaint so far is that the UI is a bit "bigger" for lack of a better term. Basically, it feels like you went into Display settings and set it to "scaled" one notch bigger on the "Larger Text" side. On my test 13" Macbook Pro, I set it one notch towards "More Space" and it feels normal again. I don't like this, though, because the scaled settings don't look quite as sharp and crisp as "Default" does.

I'm not sure why they felt the need to do this. It was fine before, and in my line of work you need all the screen real-estate you can get.
This is actually quite important, is normal text (those in Apps menu bars file, edit, etc) at least the original size? or has it been scaled up too? That would be a bit of a down point indeed.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Insanely frustrating that they won't let maps change to a different default. That has been one of their worst apps.

Guess is they need the additional data to keep improving, though.
It's not 2014 anymore :p and even then Apple Maps was underrated, the issues it had were pretty blown out of proportion. I personally never had issues with Apple Maps even if it wasn't up to par with Google Maps at launch.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps now
I just opened it and put in the name of a handful of local businesses and a park go to regularly. It found one of four businesses and doesn't believe the park exists (although it's technically there as a green patch on the map, just not named). Google Maps found all of them.

Not exactly a winning experience.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

The idea that the Calculator, Weather, and Watch apps are not ready for the iPad is ridiculous.

Agreed.

Well, for the Watch, it's a bit more complicated. There's pairing and all involved. But the iPad clearly doesn't have Calculator and Weather apps because they originally didn't consider those useful.

The reason is the same as why there’s no Phone app either... the company needs to maintain an identity difference between the iPhone and iPad or people will simply buy an iPad and not both.

Ehhhhhhh.

Nobody buys both and iPad and an iPhone because the iPhone has a Calculator app. Nobody would buy just an iPad if it did have a Calculator app.

Reactions: coachingguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.