Craiglist and Paypal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siratherock, Jun 14, 2010.

1. siratherock macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a question about Paypal. I'm selling my iPhone 3GS on Craiglist (Thailand) and there's someone who is interested in buying my iPhone for his daughter (Who's studying in Thailand). However, he lives in the United States and ask if he could pay me via PalPay and let me to ship the phone to his daughter's address.

I am still new to Paypal and want to know if this is the safest option? He asked for my paypal email and said he will transfer the money. My question is once he transfer the money to my paypal account, and I shipped the phone to his daughter, will he be able to get his money back from Paypal? Should I transfer the money from paypal into my bank account first before shipping the iPhone?

Thanks.

2. chromey macrumors member

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is 100% a scam. Do not do this.

I only sell on craigslist to people who will meet me in a public place in person, and bring cash.

I repeat, this is a total scam. They will send you the Paypal money and then retract it, so that you will be out the money and your iPhone.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, this is a trademark scam. Cash only in public places.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

At a very public location! :D

7. xenuprime macrumors 6502

They will send you the money and once they have the phone either charge it back or you will find out they used a stolen credit card and lose the money that way.

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Oh, and let me guess....

They also offered to send you extra for the inconvenience, or better yet, they are going to send you a lot extra, and have you send some of the money to someone else in the US????

9. siratherock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for the fast reply :)

Sorry if the question sounded silly, I never used Paypal before. Thanks again :D

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

No problem, and people who haven't used Paypal are targets for this stuff.

You are smart to seek advice. Good luck selling your item.

By the way, make sure you have some really good pictures of your item in your Craigslist ad. It always makes a big difference for me.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, this is a trademark scam. Cash only in public places.

12. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Sorry...but if you don't flag this in your mind as completely scam...you need help. I guess this is why these scam artists still operate on CL...because it keeps working for them.

Bottom line...ANYTHING on Craigslist that doesn't involve cash and is not an in-person transaction...be safe and DON'T do it.

Attached Files:

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Don't be mean. Some people are new to Craigslist, and when someone offers you more than your asking price, it's easy to want to believe them.

Besides, he came here and asked about it because he suspected something was up.

14. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I really don't care if you or OP thinks it's mean. If someone offers substantially more money than is offered...sign #1. Paypal....#2 Shipping...#3

Not to mention the big disclaimer at the top of each page. being naive is not an excuse...

Good news for this guy, it seems like he didn't actually get scammed.

15. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Paypal is a terrible service and doesn't offer enough protection for sellers. They will pay you with a stolen credit card or fake account. You ship the phone and the next day the money isn't in your paypal anymore because the owner reported the credit card stolen or they tell their credit card company this was a fraudulent charge and paypal refunds their money. It leaves you out of the phone and the money :(

16. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

If you sell it do it on ebay. I have sold my past two iphones (3g and 3gs) on there. They both sold for around 500. My 3gs I had a hard time selling. Idiots kept running up the bid then when they won they refused to pay. They would not even answer emails. I turned them into ebay, but all that does is put a mark against them.

Anyway, I finally done a buy it now option on ebay and someone bought it right away, or so I thought. It took them a week to pay. Finally realized that if you use a buy it now option, that there is some little teeny tiny check box you check on ebay that I did not see to where if the buyer clicks on your buy it now button, they actually have to buy it right then and there. If they don't, the item is still up for auction. Finally did get my money though and I had no problems with them trying to return it.

Don't EVER trust shipping an item to anyone on Craigslist!!!!!!! Always meet in person. I believe Craigslist even has a warning somewhere on their page telling you not to ship, accept western union money orders, etc.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

18. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If the format is:

"hi do you have the box? im buying this for my [brother / daughter / son / etc] and they say they have paypal"

DONT BE STUPID. DONT DO IT.

19. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Good thing I just read this. I was about to send my iPhone out to Europe to a guy who's "son needs it for school."