Craigs List Cell Phone Sale - Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Heb1228, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

My wife is trying to sell her used cell phone on craig's list. One guy contacted her saying he was interested and wants her to send the serial number of the phone. I can't think of any reason not to send him that info. Is there something I'm missing? Should I refuse to send the serial number of the phone?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Don't give out any info on the phone unless there is a specific reason needed. Why does he want it?

3. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't think he listed any specific reason for wanting the serial number.

4. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

maybe because with the serial number he can get her info....dont give out any info if he wants to check things like to make sure the phone is legit he can meet and person and you can call the provider in front of him.....

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unless he can give you a darn good reason for asking it, don't give him anything. You do not know him and therefore cannot trust him. If you have no idea why he want's something, there is probably a reason why you shouldn't give it to them.

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

If it's a 3GS you're selling, he/she may be asking for the serial number to see if it requires a tethered jailbreak since it will tell him if it was made before or after a new bootrom file started to show up.

Or, he/she may just want to verify the warranty information directly on Apple's site.

I'd suggest asking the potential buyer why he/she wants it and work from there - no need to deny the request outright.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If he wants it to check the warranty status, do a screen shot with serial number and blank out all but last 3 digits. Do the same with results on Apple Warranty Tracker site.

8. ajthomason macrumors 6502

To the last two posters, not all mobile (cell) phones are iPhones, the OP doesn't mention that it is, so it's a pretty good conclusion to jump to that it isn't.

To the OP: Ask why they want it, although you can't do much with a serial number, other than if you already own the same kind of phone and try to fake it to get someone else's warranty etc., you'd need the IMEI to tell if the phone had been blocked by the network, so don't give it unless you really think it's a legit reason.

9. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks for the input guys. Its not an iphone... its a verizon smartphone with a little age on it. I'll ask why he needs it and if anything sounds fishy just cut off communication.

10. timerollson macrumors 65816

Maybe, he's referring to the ESN and got it confused with the serial number. With Verizon phones, you can't activate a phone unless the ESN is cleared. Many people get scammed into buying phones where the owner hasn't paid the bill so they sell it. If the buyer tries to activate the phone, Verizon, under no circumstances, will do it. So, they're left with a paperweight and no money.