Craigslist Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Edge1978, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I am selling my iPhone 4 on Craigslist and today I got like 2 emails from 2 different people saying they are out of the country but want to buy it for their fiance and cousin respectively. They say they will pay $150 more than what I am asking as well as shipping costs. Obviously I think it's a scam. But all they are asking for is my paypal email address to send the money. Has anyone sold anything on craigslist that shipped out of the country? This is my first experience with Craigslist. :confused:

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

scam! Don't fall for it. Meet locally at public place. Also, make sure to meet in the day light or somewhere with people surrounding.

I have made lot of transaction on CL and because I am careful with my surrounding and people I deal with, I have not been a victim of robbery :D

Good luck!

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yes, like 99.99999 percent of the time they are scams.The odds that you get a real one are slim to none. they almost got one of my friends with this, luckily she called the post office before it left there and got it back.

4. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I replied and told them local pick up only. I make sure and tell the people who are interested that I will meet them at AT&T just so AT&T could verify phone for the buyer. Though I already had someone NOT show up. :mad: Anymore I am making them come to me! I am not driving any further than my home town's AT&T. If they want it bad enough they can meet me here. ;)

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

They are asking for only your paypal email because that is all they need to hack into your account. Getting your password is easy (your internet or domain provider has it on file) and then they will steal all your money.

Craigslist is good for face to face transactions only!!

Also its a good idea to bring along a friend with you for protection. And it's a no brainer to swab the bills they give you to make sure they're not counterfeit.

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I use Craigslist quite a bit, and have bought and sold expensive items. iPhones, MacBooks, etc. A friend of mine met publicly for a sale of his iPhone, and when he handed the phone to the guy, the guy ran out the door. Now, I ALWAYS meet in a public place, usually Starbucks. I get to the meeting place early, to pick my seat, furthest from the door, and if it's a big item, like a macbook, I have a friend sit at a set by the door in case the buyer is a runner. It's crazy I need to take precautions, but after my friend was robbed, I've been over cautious, and never had an issue.

NEVER SHIP. Always meet in person, and be careful. INSIST on a public meeting.

7. Papanate macrumors regular

Are you like 12 years old? Come on ..if it sounds stupid...then it is stupid.
    Out of the country but they are cursing Craigslist in your area? Really????

What's the name of the guy you are sending the $5000 deposit to over in Nigeria?

8. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

They will send you something that looks JUST LIKE a paypal screen. But if you look further, you'll see that it's really not affiliated with paypal. They're counting on you being SO excited to be getting all that extra $$, that you don't look further.

9. dickdaney macrumors regular

I only use craiglist for local FTF deals. Ebay for things I have to ship. Most of the non-local things I've come across of craigslist have been scams.

10. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Umm Ok, I am far from 12, and seeing I NEVER used Craigslist (as stated in my OP) I wasn't sure if anyone else dealt with these issues. Unless I totally misunderstood the reasons for a blog/forum. :eek:

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

now you will get spammed. never reply to them now they have your real email address.

12. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch, that sucks. :( Luckily I used an email for CL, I barely use. Just for the reason of the spam posts.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

when I get these from Craigs it goes right to my trash! there is no reason they need to pay you a $150 more if they have somebody local... worst case paypay them the money and that person buys it from you.. Craigs ebay etc all have these scammers..

14. Akack macrumors 6502a

rule of thumb : if they are not a local buyer, 99.999 % it's a scam.