Craigslist Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sjjordan, May 29, 2009.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

You guys got any advise/thoughts?

I bought an edger from a local guy off CL last week and, upon using it, discovered that it has a short in it and won't work. No biggie...I'll fix it, but I emailed him anyway to see if he'd give me my $30 back and let me return it because I don't really have the time to mess with it. He wrote me back that he CAN'T refund me my money because I took it apart (to find the short, which I did) and it is now past-7 days since I bought it.

Not worried about losing the money; just ticked that the guy knowingly sold me a piece of crap, telling me the whole time it worked perfectly and was in great shape. Who knows who else he rips off on CL?

What are my options? I almost think it's worth taking him to small-claims court just to teach him a lesson, although I doubt I'd win.

Any ideas?

ps. Please don't waste your time posting "you deserve it" comments; I know I do. Let's be CONstructive

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have had good experiences with craigslist. You should try again, and hopefully it will work about better. :) Keep trying.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've always thought of CL as a buyer beware, cash for "as-is, where-is" stuff. Had success buying some stuff and walked away from others. For $30 I'd just let it ride as a lesson learned.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Always, always, ALWAYS test anything before you buy it. I always do, never been ripped off, I sell and buy phones on there, all have been perfect. Did his ad say there was a 7 day return policy, I've never heard of that?

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I wouldn't say that you deserve it. I guess it's a lesson learned, and now you'll be more vigilant next time you make a Craigslist purchase.

It's pretty much 'buyer beware' on Craigslist. Don't waste your energy going after this guy. Just send him an email telling him that you hope he enjoys burning in hell with all the rest of the Craigslist scammers :D.

If I were you, I'd just try to find the time to sit down and fix it.

/I had to google "edger" to find out what it is......

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I know this is not what the thread is about, but i just want to ask a stupid question: why do they call it craiglist? was it a guy called craig who first created it?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Newmark