Craigslist buying question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tbobmccoy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

So, I'm going in on an iPad 2 16gb black. I've been communicating with a buyer via craigslist whose willing to sell his launch-day, used iPad 2 for $450 with a smart cover (green, not my favorite color but I'll take it for the price). He's telling me it's in like-new condition as he's been using the case the whole time. He says he threw away the box that had the shipping label on it, but he does have the invoice from his online purchase. Is there anything I should be watching out for otherwise? I'll be meeting with him tomorrow to buy it... but seeing an iPad 2 going for UNDER retail just seems fishy in this market.... or am I being paranoid? On the paranoia front, is there a easy to detect wet-sensor on the inside of the iPad 2's stereo jack like the iPhone's?

PS: Damn me for posting in the wrong forum all the time... sorry mods :(

2. jahala macrumors regular

jahala

Trust your instincts

I have been buying and selling Macs on craigslist for years. Usually if I have a feeling that something is fishy, something is. Do your research and pay attention to how you feel about it. If both research and your gut say it is a good deal, it usually is. If either one says no, look elsewhere.

3. Dimemaker macrumors newbie

Why take the chance to save $50. The risks just seem
    To outweigh the savings. Maybe for instance he got it wet and
    It's still working but if it goes bad then apple will reject the warranty due to
    Water intrusion.

4. Drew n macs macrumors member

Does seem a little fishy, so he bought less than two weeks ago, throw out the box and lost the receipt. If he does have the his invoice it might be worth seeing if his drivers license name matches the invoice name? I would feel a little more at ease. Chances are he bought it for 499 + tax + 40 dollars for cover. as always buyer beware...who is to say its not stolen and he is burrowing a buddy receipt? Just a thought

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I agree 100%.

6. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Just ask them the reason why they want to sell it. You will get a better idea about their intentions and make your decision then.

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It is probably damaged in some way that is not immediately obvious. Or it may even be stolen.

If you still want to take a chance, you should really meet in a public place like a starbucks.

8. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

+1

9. uwetodd macrumors member

Agreed. I recommend you buy one that's NIB. You'll not only have piece of mind (warranty, original box, etc), but get the priceless "new toy" butterflies.

10. Remmnever macrumors member

If there was an ipad2 in my area for that price it would be sold within a couple hours and my city isnt that big. I find it odd he hasnt sold it to someone else already.

When the ipad2 was released i tried to get an ipad1 for under $350 and it took me about 3 weeks of searching. They were also $350 for a refurb on apples site.

11. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Yeah, my craigslist buy no called/no showed so I bought a 32gb white model from Fry's. They had several at 3pm in the afternoon.