Craigslist counterfeit bills?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I've had two potential buyers just about to meet me flake out once I mentioned that I would check their bills to make sure they weren't counterfeits. It's only checking them off with a marker one by one, is that too much to ask? Is it normal for sellers to check the bills or not? It's my first time using Craigslist just to sell an extra iPhone 4 and my tactics don't seem to work. I'm asking to meet somewhere crowded, Starbucks was my preferred location. Do you guys have any advice on how to handle potential buyers?

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i normally meet at a barnes and nobles .. someplace public so its safe ..
    never had a problem and i sell pretty regularly .. never checked though for counterfeits tho

3. 184550 Guest

I always ask that buyers bring small bills to the transaction and usually state that we can meet at their bank if they prefer to pay in bills larger than $20. In the local paper in the past couple of months there have been numerous articles on the amount of fake $50 and $100 bills in rotation. My mother works at bank and has told me that people have been washing $1 bills and then reprinting them as $50 and $100, thus my reason for not accepting those bills.

I usually site these articles or tell people to go online and read about it. I haven't had any problems with buyers not wanting to meet after stating the conditions of payment. If the buyers want the product and are honest, you shouldn't have any problems. Perhaps you've just had a string of bad luck in dealing with potential fraudsters.

4. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I usually check 50's and 100's but visually. I worked at a bank for a few years so I'm kinda trained in the process.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Just tell them if they are worried about your marker and they have fake money, they can just spray them with hairspray and they will pass your maker test.

This should make them more likely to come see you next time.

6. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks a ton. I'll ask for $20's. They have the watermark that's much more difficult to reproduce, right? Hopefully It'll be safer for me and make the buyer less anxious.