Craigslist deals with preloaded MBPs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hrishi, Aug 9, 2011.

1. hrishi macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I just registered at this forum and here's my quick first question-

I am exploring my options to buy a used Macbook. I observed several deals on craigslist featuring MBPs preloaded with applications like Photoshop CS5 and Office 2011. Now I wish to know whether such deals and applications are genuine? I mean why would somebody wish to give away the licence of applications which are almost equal to the cost of the hardware itself? Can't they simply transfer the licences to their newer notebooks?

Also, if I buy such preloaded notebook, I would want to replace its existing HDD with an SSD. In that case, what would happen of those licences?

thanks in advance :)
    hrishi

2. wpotere Guest

If they don't provide you with real product install disks and keys then no, it isn't real and they are pirating the apps.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Preloaded + Craigslist = Pirated. So you won't have the original CDs or serial number & activation codes.

4. hrishi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick replies. So its indeed too good to be true!

I have a few more questions to ask, but I'll first go through the forums ;)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's not just Criagslist; there are plenty of shady retailers that offer the same kind of deal.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Pirated. HOWEVER, they could also have bought the software via download and the company provided them with a serial key. I know this can be done with Office for Mac and Windows 7 because, well, that is from personal experience. But, no serial? Then, it's pirated.