craigslist decision used mbp or new mb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clyde2801, Oct 19, 2008.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Been wanting to get a laptop. I've got two possibilities on craigslist today, both for $1300.00.

The first is a macbook pro bought at best buy in november 07. Can renew either applecare or bestbuy warranty. 2.2 ghz, macbook pro, 4gig ram, 200 gig 7200 hd, carrying case, black keyboard cover, 128 meg video card (not sure if it is ati or nvidia. LED matte screen. Supposedly in flawless condition.

The second is an entry level (2.0 ghz) macbook that some college kid bought last night, decided he didn't like OSX, and is selling minus the sales tax.

Both have the original boxes, discs, etc. Basically, I'll just be using the portable at home to do surfing, word processing, etc. Nothing too demanding, really. I'm just wanting a good deal and something as future proof as possible. Which one would you pick? Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if the price on craigslist is too good to be true… it probably is. also it doesnt come with a warranty so i definitely would buy it. you could get a dead Mac on arrival and then you are screwed. also it could die very soon after and your screwed again.

weird. sounds like the college guy stole that MacBook (im probably wrong). who would buy a Mac and then decide they dont like OS X? youll get an instant loss. unless he didnt do any research.

3. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm supposed to meet the guy with the mbp in a public area, have him sign a bill of sale, and get his purchase receipts. There isn't going to be shipping involved. As for the warranty, I'm DEFINITELY getting one, period.

Same with the college student. And, BTW, I doubt the student will have the box and manuals, unless he ripped off his roommate.

So, which would you choose, based on the specs, for the same price.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

good work! well the MacBook Pro is definitely a good buy.

make sure you boot it up check the specs are right (About This Mac -> More Info) and look for any problems i.e. screen, speakers, heat, CPU by running a flash intensive site or type "yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null" in Terminal and press Control-C and type "killall yes" to stop. (OR NOT!? :D)

5. jag00 macrumors newbie

Why not buy a refurbished MBP for $1399 at the Apple Store? (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB133LL/A) or a MB for $1099? (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB403LL/A)

6. rowath macrumors newbie

Honestly for these prices, I'd probably just buy directly from Apple. If I were you, I'd be choosing between a new Macbook for $1300 and a refurbished Macbook Pro for $1350.

Based on this assumption and what you've listed as you usage patterns, I'd say to go with the Macbook. Just my opinion, but I'd want to stay away from the Geforce 8600M GT after nVidia announced the problems that they were having with them. They may have fixed the issue (?), but its a peace of mind thing for me if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't be silly. Just go buy a refurb @ Apple. You know who you are dealing with and it will come with a full 1 year warranty. You can get a 2.4 MBP for $1350.

8. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

The macbook will come with a full year warranty (minus 2 days) as well, and I won't have to pay sales tax.

No sales tax as well for the MBP, and it will have 4 gigs of memory and a 7200 rpm drive.

Not to mention the whole instant gratification thing....

9. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

yeah, but...

The macbook will come with a full year warranty (minus 2 days) as well, and I won't have to pay sales tax.

No sales tax as well for the MBP, and it will have 4 gigs of memory and a 7200 rpm drive.

Not to mention the whole instant gratification thing....

I've been dealing with CL for a while now, and I'm comfortable with the process. If it wasn't for CL, well then, yeah, refurb would be the smartest choice.

10. darcytu macrumors newbie

If you go for a MacBook, why not Macmall or MacConnection? They both have rebates to lower the price, plus no sales tax and usually low or free shipping.
    No instant gratification, but a week from now, you'd be sure you have something that is legit.

11. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

If he has a receipt in his name, why wouldn't it be legit? Honestly, everyone seems to think that CL is a place to sell stolen goods. This hasn't been the case.

UPDATE: I met the guy an hour ago, and he had a receipt. He signed a bill of sale, and the macbook is now registered in my name. Woot! I can't wait to find a case for it and show it off!