Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmomox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I am a new user here, and held off buying an Iphone because of these few questions but I found this site and see if I can get an answer from trusted people :]
========================================
I want to buy an IPHONE 3G from craigs/ebay.
I found some great deals but i need to know what to do before i buy it, and find out I can't use it.

I currently have an AT&T plan. It expires JUNE 2010. I'm using the LG SHINE, but i want to switch to an iphone.

If I buy the IPHONE off of craigs/ebay, what do I do then?

I hear things about IPHONE SIM CARDS, and that AT&T simcards won't fit or something.

I hear something about IPHONEs can't be used with an AT&T SIMCARD if you didn't activate the iphone.

======

questions:

Can i JUST put my AT&T SIMCARD into the iphone and it'll work?
Do I have to call AT&T to activate it?
IF using my AT&T simcard works, will I get charged IPHONE DATA PLAN? i hear, once you use it, they auto-charge you the data plan.

My current AT&T PLAN only has unlimited text/aim. No internet.

What is this APN CHanger? I hear something about, your iphone constantly tries to download data, so getting a data plan is much cheaper etc etc.

==
If you guys could help me answer with as much details, please :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you have an AT&T sim it will work without any problems. Even if you have to activate it thru itunes you just gotta stick your simcard in and you're good. All AT&T sims will work and fit without any probs.
You wont have to jailbreak or unlock it if you dont want to.
AT&T wont add a data plan automaticly but if you use data without a plan it will get expensive. You can always block data and use it on wifi only.
The APN changer blocks carrier data so you dont accidentally hit the safari icon or any app that uses data and you get charged per KB usage from AT&T.

xmomox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
If you have an AT&T sim it will work without any problems. Even if you have to activate it thru itunes you just gotta stick your simcard in and you're good. All AT&T sims will work and fit without any probs.
AT&T wont add a data plan automaticly but if you use data without a plan it will get expensive. You can always block data and use it on wifi only.
The APN changer blocks carrier data so you dont accidentally hit the safari icon or any app that uses data and you get charged per KB usage from AT&T.

Ohh i see, but the APN changer, I can still send..texts and picture texts right? I used an LG SHINE, but the screen cracked, so my friend gave me his old gophone, the SAMSUNG MAGNET, the gophone kind, not 3G and I can't send/recieve picture messages like my LG SHINE could.

===
im going to buy the iphone tmrw, it should be okay, if i put in my sim cardand not worry about the data plan right?
as long as i don't click say..SAFARI or APPS that require log on?
isn't there a setting where i can just put WIFI ONLY.

2000m

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ohh i see, but the APN changer, I can still send..texts and picture texts right? I used an LG SHINE, but the screen cracked, so my friend gave me his old gophone, the SAMSUNG MAGNET, the gophone kind, not 3G and I can't send/recieve picture messages like my LG SHINE could.

===
im going to buy the iphone tmrw, it should be okay, if i put in my sim cardand not worry about the data plan right?
as long as i don't click say..SAFARI or APPS that require log on?
isn't there a setting where i can just put WIFI ONLY.

If you block data your MMS wont work cause it requires carrier data.
If you dont block data thru an apn changer just make sure you dont use any data outside of wifi. There is no setting that you can put wifi only on the phone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
one other thought

Don't bother paying extra for a jailbroken or unlocked phone it's easy of enough to do yourself if you decide to. plus if your AT&T you don't need it unlocked unless you go overseas. I would go craigslist then you can check the phone out before you buy it. Also meet where you can check the wifi etc. ;)

dynamo22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Before you purchase the iphone, make sure you tell AT&T to put a data block on your account. Wifi will still work

xmomox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Before you purchase the iphone, make sure you tell AT&T to put a data block on your account. Wifi will still work

data block meaning only internet etcetc right?

picture and regular text messages will work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.