Craigslist help (selling a MP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, May 27, 2009.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

So, I'm selling my mac pro to buy a MBP to take to Europe, probably buy another Nehalem(sp) MP when I get there.

I just want to know what payment you would suggest? I'm thinking either:

• Cash ($100 bills, put them against light)
    • Cash (whatever, do the trade at a bank)
    • Cashiers Check
    • Other?

HALP<3

:apple:

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

CASH only, or you could have them pay via paypal if you'll have a wireless connection

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

With cash check the watermark make sure it is Franklin not Lincoln. There is a recent scam where people take a five bleach it and print a hundred on the paper.

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

For a hefty sale such as this I'd probably meet at a Bank and watch them withdraw the cash in front of me from an ATM or bank teller. Also make sure you meet in a relatively safe public place as there have been cases of people getting jumped and their stuff stolen when they met at a less public area. Good luck.

5. tvh13 macrumors member

I've recently been selling some more expensive items on CL and I have found a couple of seeming scams but I don't know how they actually work. Basically the person wants to pay via paypal and have me ship the item. One person wanted me to ship an expensive camera ($1200) to Africa. I wonder if there is a way to scam paypal and pay me using a stolen credit card. Once I have shipped the item I am SOL. Any comments?

Thanks,

-T

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I believe they hijack an account or credit card, and after the money comes in paypal finds out it came from a bogus card and issues a chargeback, which you get hit for (and possibly have to pay extra fees on).

Paypal scamming is easier than you think. That's why you should only deal with verified people and confirmed addresses in order to make sure the deal is legit.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never never ship anything like that. There are more scams than you can count. Stick to cash and meet in person.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Here are some of the recent responses I got for selling my MacBook Pro. Mind you I'm in Dallas.

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

where are you located? I might be interested. And I have a mbp for a possible trade

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

How on earth are Nigerians supposed to get their macs from then? Shame on you for stereotyping!!! :D

12. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

@chstr: I'm located in Northwestern 'burbs of Chicago. I'd be interested in anything in the Chicagoland area, reply soon otherwise selling Fri, would love to sell to an MR user though! :D

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I never mentioned anything about Nigerians. I assumed all of those crazy people were from California? (Double Finger Wag @ Unprocessed1)

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, lets say you do fall for those scams and ship your item to Nigeria/West Africa. How would the person who is scamming you get the item, I mean it is highly unlikely that they have a relative in Nigeria whom they can ask to use that address.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

They just want you to give them personal info that they can use to infiltrate your bank account or steal your identity: bank account numbers, name, address, etc.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

And often they will have a 'mixup' where they send you a check for $ 4000 when the agreed price was $ 500, so they ask you to send them money. ha.

17. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

CharlieKirk, try selling your item on the MR marketplace?

18. youssefm macrumors 6502

I suggest going to a bank and having them verify the money while the process is going on.. and if they're hesitant about going then you know its fake

19. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Why would anyone even take the risk? There's no benefit to making the transaction, they're all just scams.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink youssefm is referring to the original "exchange cash at a bank for the Mac Pro locally" idea...not the idea of foreign wiring scams...

21. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Wow, REALLY stupid of me. :( All the talking about Nigerian scams got me a little hyped up I guess.

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

We used to have a lot of crazy people in California but most have since moved to Texas :D :D

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I made that move. March 12, 1999.