iPad Craigslist: iPad Air 2 Sealed Box Issues?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Joe Duffer, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Joe Duffer macrumors newbie

I found a sealed box iPad Air 2 (wifi 16gb) for $250. We exchanged text messages and the seller agreed to meet at a public place to complete the transaction. He said he could provide the receipt and a copy from Toys R Us.

My concern is, what if anything, is in the box and why doesn't the seller simply return the iPad for refund ($499)?

Thank You...

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's awfully easy to shrink wrap a rock inside the box. You'd be crazy to buy a "sealed" box iPad on Craigslist.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I would tell him to open it before you give him the cash .

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a saying that goes, if its too good to be true then it probably is.

I'd personally avoid this sale, sounds to fishy to me.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's like Schrödinger's cat, a sealed box could contain anything, even an iPad. It's fairly easy for scammers to reseal a box.

6. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Texting Seller...

Asking him if he has any issues with me opening the box before handing over the cash?

7. dyt1983, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

9. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

He replied - "That would be fine"

We are meeting at a Starbucks.

I still don't understand why he doesn't return it...

10. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Well obviously try it out , make sure the serial number is the same as the box and etc. If it was legit the seller wouldn't have an issue with doing all these tests . Personally I never buy used off Craiglist or eBay unless I have to for something that can't be bought new and rather pay more for new or at least used at Apple Store

11. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with a Wi-Fi?

----------

I usually don't either, but half price is hard to resist.

12. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

13. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Yes even with WiFi. I suggest before you meet up you do a little more research on what to check. Who cares if it's half priced if it's a paperweight...

14. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

When I turn on the iPad, will I know the device is ready to use when you're asked to “Set up your iPad," during the device setup process?

15. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Read the link I gave you above. If you scroll down, it has complete information on checking for activation lock.

16. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

When I attempt to go to: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ on my Iphone 6+ using Safari or Chrome, I'm confronted with "Your browser is not supported". Both Safari and Chrome are the latest versions.:confused:

17. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I get the same result on my Ipad. ????

18. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Confusing, my iMac reaches the page fine, but mobile devices fail.

19. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Agree, mobiles would be most useful for this I would think?

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'd assume it's stolen.

It's possible though that he got it legally somehow and was beyond the 14 day return window. Not likely, but possible.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Some of these people might have bought the iPad with a gift card or credit card and be willing to take a loss to convert it to cash.

My friend got one from some guy selling a 128GB Air 2 sealed for $380 back when they first came out. He opened the box and turned it on to make sure it was an Air 2 and 128GB. It was legit, no problem. Just make sure you open the box and check the storage capacity. Also run the serial on Apple.com to make sure it's the Air 2 if you're unable to identify the difference yourself.

22. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone why this check fails on mobile?

23. Joe Duffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Confused...

Short of reaching the seller again and asking for the Ser#, are there any other suggestions for validating the device at the time of purchase?

24. 0928001 Suspended

Stop by a Best Buy or Apple Store and hold a demo. Note the weight and size and compare with the device you are getting. Just to make sure it's not a knock off. Turn it on and make sure you can get past the "Hello" screen. Check for any dust behind the initial screen protector (theres supposed to be one if its new, I think).

There's numerous things you can do, but if it isn't what it turns out to be, you'll just be out some of your time. It's worth it to check.

25. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

From the link I provided earlier:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
    2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
    3. Begin the device setup process.
    4. After choosing a language, choosing a country, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.
    You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to “Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” during the device setup process.