Craigslist iPhone 4 value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm planning on selling an extra iPhone 4 I have. It's brand new in the box of course so I don't need it. I'd jailbreak/unlock it before I sell it. Does anyone know how much I should ask for? It's a 32GB model but I really am not sure how much to ask for it, thanks.

Also, does anyone have any clue when the unlock will be released? I live in the San Francisco area.

2. SashaFierce Guest

SashaFierce

If you lived in Canada, you get easily get $1300 for that on Craigslist.

3. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll ask for $750 or best offer?

4. nyisles84 macrumors regular

no way man. Start much higher. Someone can go in to apple and buy a locked 32gb for 700, prob 750 after taxes. if you are selling it unlocked, I'd say start at 850 900 or even higher and let them haggle you a bit

5. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I never really thought of it that way. I paid $63 in taxes for the $299 price (CA law requirement). I guess it would set them back $760 or so from AT&T/Apple store? Should I do $850 and be very open to haggling the price down?

6. nyisles84 macrumors regular

yea. Im sure you could get more but if you only paid the 299, you making a good amount of profit. Id say start at 850 or 900 and allow them to haggle you down to 750 if they are good at it :)

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Currently, the 32 GB iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked can be bought through Apple Canada for $761.60 USD, not sure if that includes taxes.

Pros:
    Factory Unlocked

Cons:
    Taxes?
    Need trustworthy person in Canada to ship it
    3 Week estimated wait

I would probably ask $850 but would settle for less considering it will need jailbreaked and unlocked at every iOS upgrade which can be a pain over 2 or 3 years which is how long someone will probably keep it since they are paying so much.

8. chembox macrumors 6502a

How did you buy the iPhone without a contract and ETF?

9. southernpaws macrumors 6502

Seriously?

OP, you might be able to find a sucker who thinks that way. But most savvy people (the kind who pay unsubsidized prices) would see your ad and think it would be way better to buy the phone from apple and do the free jailbreak at home. They wouldn't even try to haggle you; they'd ignore you, based on the assumption that you're too dumb to haggle about it. They wouldn't waste their time.

Free jailbreak+the priviledge of buying from a complete stranger who may not be trustworthy does not equal a $100 premium. Don't be greedy--the worst thing that could happen is that you go a few weeks without selling, drop the price down to where you should have had it in the first place, only to find that supply has met demand, meaning no more shortages which would force you to drop your price even lower.

Price it the same as the unsub phone from the apple store. The benefits you would offer would then be no tax plus you offer the convenience of an already jb phone.