craigslist postings...legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcp063, Dec 9, 2007.

1. dcp063 macrumors member

Just like new Apple Cinema Display LCD 30" inches HD Monitor. - $850
    30" APPLE HD CINEMA DISPLAY
    -Excellent Condition!
    -No Scratches
    -Hardly Used
    -APPLE CARE
    -Plus iSight!
    ONLY 5 MONTHS OLD.

there were 3 photos included...not off of apple's website which i guess is a good sign. I emailed the poster and am waiting to hear back. I'm hoping this is legit b/c it would be a hell of a bargain.

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Sounds a bit too good to be true. Caveat Emptor.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Does it come with a separate iSight camera?

A lot of CL postings are just scams. But there are some that are legitimate. If it sounds too good to be true.....it almost certainly is.

Can you post the link?

4. dcp063 thread starter macrumors member

re

you wouldnt be pretending to look out for me, ask for the link, and then go buy it yourself...would ya?:eek:

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Nope.

6. dcp063 thread starter macrumors member

forget it...

just googled the posting title and i got back a couple of different results...all the same title, all different locations with different reasons for selling. damn craigslist...

7. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

8. dcp063 thread starter macrumors member

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yep, that's common.... Wonder how they were going to fit the iSight in the box? :D

It's too bad. I've had much better luck on eBay, both buying and selling. If you go with a seller who has pictures of the actual item, extensive positive feedback, etc., I think you're unlikely to have a problem.

10. eyemac74119 macrumors member

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

But there's no iSight! ;)

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Bummer.

13. dcp063 thread starter macrumors member

re

and this is why i won't even try selling my old mac on craigslist...if people dont think it's a scam, then there's someone out there pretending to be a buyer just to scam you...and ebay is just a pain in the ass to set up just to sell.

14. danidoll521 macrumors regular

Not everyone on craigslist is trying to scam. From experience, I sold a powerbook on craigslist and had a wonderful transaction. Buyer contacted me and we met at a public place where he was able to look at the computer and make sure he wanted buy it. Certainly buy and sell on craigslist, but as with all online purchases and sales of used stuff, be careful and you won't get scammed.

15. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

My wife and I have both sold and bought furniture on Craigslist, but we've never tried electronics or anything. All of our experiences have been good thus far.

16. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ive sold on both ebay and craigslist.... no problem, just be careful and smart. Dont buy there though:rolleyes:

17. Matiek macrumors member

I've had great success buying and selling electronics with craigslist. I've just always insisted on meeting the person in a public place and have always dealt in cash. You can get some great deals. I got a canon xti for $500 dollars with a lens, body armor, cf card and an extra battery

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I sold my old G5 iMac on Craigslist and have done some selling both here and via eBay. You just have to be careful. I was scammed out of about $30 for a video card a few years ago, so now I don't send money orders anymore.

19. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I don't understand why anyone would use CL when there is E-bay. E-bay is a breeze selling and buying, there is feedback, plenty of pics, I have never had a negative experience on ebay and I have bought and sold about 30 items. If someone has 5000 positive feedbacks, and maybe 5 or 6 negatives those are pretty good odds that the item is as described.

20. GregE macrumors 6502

I sell things on both e-bay and CL.

CL is nice when you have an item that is big, heavy, or awkward and you don't want to have to mess with trying to ship it. CL also has no fees. We sold a bunch of my parents things this way after my Mother passed away.

We also sold some of their things on e-bay because we got a wider audience and could ship them out. I even sold some old speakers on e-bay and they were heavy. I went with e-bay because more people would see them.

I think both are good and have their place.

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

-Easier to use, no worries about things getting lost in the mail, etc
    -No fees, if you sell on eBay you have to give a cut to eBay and PayPal
    -Can be cheaper than eBay, have to look for deals
    -Instant gratification, no waiting for auction/shipping
    -Get to meet the person, no worries about DOA
    -Get to test out what you're buying, make sure it's what you want

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've used CG and eBay and vastly prefer CG. It's just a lot faster and easier to deal with. I bought my iBook from CG, and when my MB comes, I'm going to sell the iBook on CG as well (hopefully for a profit, since I got it way cheap). And kuebby above me basically gave all the reasons why CG >> eBay.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Um, CL always say something like "DO NOT DO TRANSACTION VIA MAIL"

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It was eBay, and it was several years ago when it, and I, were still new to the game. ;)

I have 0 negative ratings there, but eBay is still a pain. I sold some stuff on here, and even taking a hit from Paypal, it was much better. It can be convenient, but can also be a hassle. CL is only a once in awhile thing though, buying and selling.

25. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Fwiw, I found a dslr listed on the local CL, new in box Panasonic L1 retailing at $1500... asking $500 cash. I thought it may be 2good2b true, but called anyways hoping for the best. Turns out the guy's wife recieved it as a gift from Canadian relatives, and he had been reducing the price over time because of lack of response. They didn't want a 'complicated camera' so I made a one hour drive, met the guy, inspected the camera and lens which were truly new in box... swapped my $500 cash for a camera that still lists for over $1200. The IS Leica 14-50mm f/2.8 kit lens alone is worth close to a grand.:D

I have also sold several of my surfboards thru Craigslist at prices 'too good to be true' but I got what I was asking in cash within the weekend of listing them.
    I think the best advice is to trade locally only, with personal meetups in a publicly populated area. Bring a friend, or at least let someone know where you are going and who you are expecting to meet, all the be safe rules should apply. But I give my Craigslist experience a 5-star rating!:D