Craigslist scam

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bruxo, Feb 9, 2016.

1. bruxo macrumors newbie

bruxo

Hi everybody :)

So like three weeks ago i bought an iphone 6s 16gb t-mobile from craigslist,the phone was perfect for like three weeks till today when i was driving and noticed that it has "no service",i restarted my phone for couple times and managed to get reception for like one minute but everytime it would just go back to one small circle and then eventualy back to no service.Later when i got back i checked the phones imei and my worst fears came true when i found out that the phone is blacklisted.The strange thing is that the phones carrier is t-mobile but it shows that the phone is blacklisted on metropcs?so any ideas what should i do next?is there any way that i could get the phone working again?

tl&dr;bought an iphone from craigslist and now it's blacklisted on metropcs but the carrier is t-mobile,looking on any sugesstion for what to do next to get my phone working.

any input helps :)

2. chscag macrumors 68000

MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile so that would explain the carrier and blacklist anomaly. You'll need to contact T-Mobile or MetroPCS customer service or take it in to a T-Mobile or MetroPCS store and have them look up the blacklist reason. If it's because of a broken contract or non-payment, you can make arrangements with them to resolve the $ owed. However, if the phone is blacklisted because it was reported stolen, you'll probably be out of luck.

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

BTW, Craigslist IS the scam.

When buying a device via CL (if you must), arrange to meet the seller AT the cellular storefront for the company that matches the phone... in this case, T-Mobile could have confirmed that all was well prior to you and your cash becoming separated.

Of course, they would also tell you if the device was "no go"... or the seller could have refused to meet you there, in which case, you already know all you need to know.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It could very well be fine at the time of sale and then down the road the seller could report it as lost or stolen.

5. bruxo thread starter macrumors newbie

bruxo

yeah that's the case,it was working perfect for the last three weeks and today it was just showing no service and when i checked the imei it was blacklisted.I found some services on ebay that claim to remove your imei from blacklist,i think im going to try them out.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

sounds like they stopped paying their bill. that would explain the 3 weeks it worked. my guess is the owner stopped paying for the actual monthly device payments, which is why the IMEI was blacklisted. i think if the account itself was in default, it would've just cut their service. so they probably sold you a phone they were still paying off.