Craigslist Scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macvillain, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Macvillain macrumors newbie

I sent an email saying i was interested in the MacBook, but the part i am kinda worried about is the listing is for Detroit and she says she now lives in the UK. So any advice on whether its a scam or legit would be greatly appreciated. Below is the email she wrote back and the pictures she sent of the laptop.

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
    This machine is 10 Months old and it has been used for professional needs, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. Other than a small area of light scratches on the underside and the normal finger stains that can be removed with a damp rag, this MacBook is MINT!!!
    The AppleCare warranty is good until November 19th, 2008 and it is fully transferable.
    One more thing, the laptop is an US version and it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
    I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so20you can see the condition of the laptop.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
    Amy

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=af3e2cc06f&view=att&th=11cf8df9ea7aa8b3&attid=0.1&disp=inline

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=af3e2cc06f&view=att&th=11cf8df9ea7aa8b3&attid=0.2&disp=inline

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=af3e2cc06f&view=att&th=11cf8df9ea7aa8b3&attid=0.3&disp=inline

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=af3e2cc06f&view=att&th=11cf8df9ea7aa8b3&attid=0.4&disp=inline

2. eman macrumors 6502a

3. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

100% scam. Very common one too. Canned email reply. The Manchester, UK part is the dead giveaway.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The simple fact that you are wondering if it is a scam and that you took the time to make this post asking if it is a scam should be enough to indicate to you that you should pass on this "deal".

Cheers.

5. Macvillain thread starter macrumors newbie

damn that was fast, and thanks guys i had a pretty good suspicion but this just confirmed it. it was just too good to be true.

6. LDB macrumors member

LDB

Heaven help us that anyone could even ask anymore if it's a scam that a computer that should be selling for $1200 is listed for $400 and even more so that after getting an out of country email still questions it at all.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

yes, it's a scam

see title above. 'amy' advertises all the time on OKC craigslist. she advertises different machines for different prices, all ridiculously under valued.

if she was truly a student in the UK, she wouldn't be advertising apple portables daily in Oklahoma City, would she?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you can't go pick it up, why bother asking if a super deal is a scam...

Look for something you can touch first and burn yourself on.

If you want hot/stolen merchandise, at least make sure it is real first.

9. yabai macrumors member

Definite scam. I saw this in my local Hawaii craigslist and inquired for more info. Amy asks for some bogus DHL service where you send money via Western Union. RED FLAG! Also, the "DHL" site she links to is also visibly fake.

10. frankholdem macrumors newbie

I saw an add on craig's list for a 3 GHz imac for $900. I emailed and received this response:

"I'm sorry for getting back to you so late and I hope you are still interested in buying the computer. It is only two months old, it works and looks great and you will also receive the warranty which is transferable. Unfortunately there is an inconvenience to this deal, I had to move to UK and shipping will be involved but I'm willing to pay for it and also to use some service to help protect both of us. The computer was bought in US and I need to sell it there, the warranty works there and the plugs are different. Waiting for your email."

I smelled scam so I did a google search and came upon this thread.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

yeah there was a blog about this, how this one person puts up mac ads all over craigslist Same M.O. bout being in the U.K

13. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

14. bettykoyle macrumors regular

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

Usually, not always, when the question is "Craigslist scam?" the answer is "Yes."

16. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Another one

Posted a good price on a MB, forgot what it was. Thought I'd give it a shot(sometimes people have gotten deals)

Got this response:
    Hello,

I still have the laptop. But the thing is that I'm in Italy for my school (I have the machine with me). I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a worldwide delivery company called Royal Mail, they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the laptop.With this procedure you will be able to check the laptop before I receive the payment.

Like I said, I will pay for a 3 days delivery so you will receive the laptop right away.
    Let me know what you think.

Roger Dawson
    Via C. Correnti 1,
    Milan 20123
    349/333566

Lol,:p
    Yeah right. Here was my response to him:
    Hey Roger,

What a coincidence. Well, I'm actually taking a trip to Italy next week. Can you meet me in Rome or Venice and we can do the trade there?

Thanks

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

I love it! Better yet tell them you have a brother in the same town.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Craigslist, while a useful tool, is the second most favorite place for internet fraud, deception, and theft. Facebook, due to its huge rise in popularity, which uses "real" names, places of residence, and work more than any site, is most full of scammers. I had to change my name there and ran into a slew of IP sniffers and phishers. Facebook is OK but I am actually re-considering MySpace since it's a far less attractive target these days.

When and if somebody surpasses Craigslist by a large margin in popularity, the scammers will move away from Criagslist and attack the new big "kid" in town.

In the earliest days of the boom on online selling/advertising/blogging, it was eBay getting hit before they put up current defenses, then MySpace, and now it's Craigslist and Facebook. I keep up with my fellow techies in the field and we adjust accordingly. If anything, it gives us more compensation than it does the scammers and we don't have to go to jail to secure sites, while the hackers/crackers get fines and sometimes jail time.

19. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Hehe...Thanks....here's the response I got from them...and my new reply....this is so much fun :)

2009/2/4 Roger Dawson <roger.dawson@live.com>
    btw Rome & Milan are 640 kilometers, so will be very hard to meet you

Roger Dawson
    Via C. Correnti 1, Milan 20123
    349/333566

No Problem, I'm touring Italy. I can add Milan to my itinerary. Let me know a good date for us to meet.

Thanks.

20. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Damn, some people are so cruel :rolleyes:
    Imagine it's real and he ends up waiting for you somewhere in the middle of Italy :p

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

It would serve him right if he goes there with a sealed box with nothing in it but a rock and no one shows up. Maybe you could get the police to show up.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

23. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

That guy most awfully rich considering he's living in a hotel all year round
    here (look at the top result): http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...q=Via+C.+Correnti+13,+Milan+20123&btnG=Search

24. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I'm getting confused now...who's stalking whom and what's trying to rip off when?

Just let me know when to launch the missiles.

25. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

What about all those dumb college students that move to some foreign place and realize they are incapable of getting proper adapter plugs?;)

Thanks for messing them up, Craigslist scammers!