Craigslist scammer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techguy1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. techguy1 macrumors regular

Decided to sell my 7 month old MacBook on Craigslist and was surprised to receive an offer almost an hour later from a guy who seemed very keen to purchase.

I advised him that I wanted £550 and I would accept Paypal

Uh oh, I thought it seemed like a scam and wasn't going to pursue it any more and then I received :-

The above arrived on what seemed a valid Paypal headed email but the 'English' didn't seem good enough for a professional organisation so I replied :-

Reply received

I then receive on a Paypal headed email :-

The 'English' and punctuation is terrible don't ya think !?
    There has never been any money paid into my Paypal account !

I then get another email from "Paypal" !?

The formatting and English is worse than the first so I decided to send the emails to the real Paypal and ask them to list him as a scammer .. I'm awaiting their responses.
    So, if ya wanna buy a MacBook .. I still have it for sale :D

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You do know that craigslist advises against using these types of services and recommends that you execute the transaction with cash?

I never ever sell anything on craigslist and accept anything except a personal pickup and cash.

3. mags631 Guest

Don't let the fact that PayPal is an American company confuse you. These emails are horribly written :)

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I highly advise you do local pickup + cash trade rather than paypal.

5. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Yea only do local, it's not worth it. But doesn't Ebay have some feature where PayPal can't take out the money from your bank account if it does turn out to be a stolen credit card and they need the money back? That's what I'd be thinking too, once it's in your bank account, you're safe, but you agree to PayPal that they can take any money out of your bank account, so it's not worth it I guess.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Oh man this could be fun :p

I say accept the money and send the "computer". Send him a dried out fish or something.

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Like you, I wouldn't do it any other way.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Tell him you want an additional amount through Western Union to cover shipping. Just a nominal fee. /sarcasm

Seriously, when will scammers at the very least learn that improper grammar and spelling are instant eyebrow-raisers? Hopefully never, but it still makes me wonder.

10. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

go-for-it

Send a 'fake' shipping document
    and as Bill said
    'pending the receipt of a small handling fee of $5.55'

This happens to our company regularly -
    the last one was from a Mr. Rev. Billy Graem (sic)
    :D

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think that as well, but then I realize they scam enough people without learning it. Kinda sad. Who falls for these things?

12. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

We did
    We didn't part with any money however, it did cost a reasonable amount of time and effort.
    It was a credit card scam, about 4 years ago, the guy insisted that we keep trying smaller and smaller amounts on the card (as a deposit)
    and he will provide us with another card (for the balance) the next day.
    We had considered him a genuine customer as many ask us to 'split' payments because of a daily limit or similar,
    besides it was our first scam!
    It went on for 3 days until we all agreed enough was enough :D

13. timerollson macrumors 65816

I don't see how you didn't catch that was a scam as soon as Paypal was mentioned. :confused:

LOL
    This is the most common scam on Craig's List.

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Any correspondence from any legit company you have an account with will use your name in the address.

Just tell him you shipped it, and move along.

15. ethical macrumors 68000

The Board of Directors at PayPal discussed your situation, and they used the term "you wont be scammed" :p

I think it's pretty clear this guy isnt to be trusted.

Ignore him and move on. Don't respond to any more emails from him or the 'PayPal' address.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Well yours sounds a little different than the scam here.

Does anyone actually read this and think its legit? The broken english and all? I was just professing my amazement that people get baited into these. This just screams scam to me and should to all people.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Apparently someone things this garbage is legit because they keep sending it out, they wouldn't waste their time if it didn't work.

You can have fun with these guys, check out 419eater.com (I think that's the website). Someone there was able to get some Nigerian scammers to act out the Monty Python dead parrot scene and post it on YouTube.

18. BPresley321 macrumors regular

Ya, and like the board wants to hear a summary of all transactions for the month...

19. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

P-P-P-Powerbook!

Haha, that is what that reminded me of, and it was a great story.

To the OP: At least you didn't fall for that. I've had emails like that, I actually still get them for an item I sold over a year ago, it's rather frustrating as I got rid of the ad the day I sold the item...

But it happens, wait for paypal, and see if someone comes to you for a meeting on Craigslist over your MacBook. Good luck!

20. techguy1 thread starter macrumors regular

Real Paypal's response :-

If the spammers do ever realise they need to polish up on their English before trying to steal someone's cash, perhaps we'll have a few more poor folks duped.

I think I'll hang onto the MacBook for now ..

21. ghostee macrumors 6502

Right here you know it's a scam or spam e-mail. If they don't reference what they are attempting to buy in their e-mail, instead calling it "the item", I don't even bother responding.

22. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Holy crap man, this is a dream come true! I'd love to get into this situation. Send a busted laptop or a box or box of rocks or something, just enough to weigh what a laptop does. Or send some dog **** in a freezer bag or something. Then tell him it's shipped and provide a tracking number.

Then tell him you have his son hostage and that you just got back from Nigeria. Tell him that his son loves dogs, if you know what I mean. And horses, too. :D